Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Sizewell: Larger emergency plan zone agreed for radiation leak at Sizewell

PUBLISHED: 10:00 27 April 2014 | UPDATED: 16:08 29 April 2014

Sizewell Nuclear Power plant is part of the scenery  in Sizewell Gap.

Sizewell Nuclear Power plant is part of the scenery in Sizewell Gap.

Archant

Nuclear safety officials have increased the emergency planning area for the Sizewell power station complex, but say the risk of a radiation leak from the coastal site has decreased.

After lengthy consultation, the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) has decided to dispense with its circular 2.4 kilometre zone and to replace it with one based largely on postcodes.

This will mean that parts of the emergency plan zone will stretch up to around 3km from the power stations and both Leiston and the majority of nearby Aldringham will in future be included in it.

Plans will now have to be drawn up to evacuate both communities should an incident occur.

The ONR said the increase in the overall planning area does not reflect an increased risk to the public from the Sizewell site and “the overall hazard has significantly reduced”.

This is due to stringent safety measures at Sizewell B and also the defueling and decommissioning of Sizewell A, which is largely complete.

Sizewell B station director Jim Crawford said he was pleased that the ONR had responded to information supplied by EDF and Magnox which reflected the changes at Sizewell A and its decreasing risk and recognised there was no increased risk associated with Sizewell B.

He said: “We don’t see any change to our local emergency arrangements that we have in place to support the county council.”

EDF opened a new multi-million pound Emergency Response Centre last year at Sizewell to further enhance safety following the lessons learned from Fukushima, though it is hoped the centre will never be deployed, and was a further commitment to how seriously the company took its safety responsibilities.

ONR deputy chief inspector George Sallit said: “Our technical assessment of the hazards on the Sizewell nuclear sites confirms that the overall risk from the dual site has reduced and I believe that the revised REPPIR emergency planning area is in the best interests of public safety, demonstrating our commitment to continuous improvement.

“In applying our revised principles, ONR inspectors have not only assessed the operators’ technical reports but have also worked with Suffolk County Council and other agencies to ensure that practical considerations, relevant to the Sizewell area, have been taken into account when defining the area requiring an off-site emergency plan.

“This includes avoiding having an emergency planning boundary that unnecessarily cuts through small local communities.”

Suffolk County Council will now revise its off-site emergency plan in consultation with the other partners to ensure that robust arrangements are in place as appropriate.

Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey said: “I welcome the fact the zone has been extended to include Leiston and Aldringham.

“Sizewell B carries a lesser risk than Sizewell A but the Emergency Zone will remain at the wider level and be extended in key areas. Extra protections have also already been brought in post Fukushima”.

1 comment

  • Three whole kilometres! Someone from ONR ought to go on a fact-finding visit to Byelarus and look at the zone of devastation around Chernobyl. If Sizewell goes "pop" and the wind's in the wrong direction, most of Suffolk will be rendered uninhabitable for centuries.

    Report this comment

    beerlover

    Sunday, April 27, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24