Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Sizewell: Threat of new delay to nuclear plant proposal

07:00 29 April 2013

Sizewell nuclear power station  Photo: Mike Page

Sizewell nuclear power station Photo: Mike Page

© Mike Page all rights reserved. Before any use is made of this image including display, publication, broadcast, syndication or

A NEW round of public consultations over plans for a Sizewell C nuclear power station is likely to be delayed until next year, it has been disclosed.

The delay is largely due to the stalling of talks between the Government and EDF Energy over a guaranteed price for the electricity to be generated by the first of the proposed new stations - at Hinkley Point in Somerset.

The first phase of public consultation over Sizewell C was launched in November last year.

It lasted eleven weeks but the public had its first glimpse of the outcome only last week at a community forum meeting.

Although no date had been set for the second phase of consultation, which will pave the way for a formal planning application, it was expected to take place during the next few months.

However, delay with the price talks over Hinkley means that the Sizewell C second phase will almost certainly have to wait until 2014.

This would mean that the construction of the twin-reactor Sizewell C, scheduled to take ten years to build, could not start until 2015 at the earliest.

EDF declined to say at the weekend whether the delay in the price talks will lead to a reduction in staff working on the Sizewell project, as is already the case at Hinkley.

Stephen Walls, EDF’s new project head, said it was “unlikely” that the phase two Sizewell C consultation would take place this year.

The delay will give officials more time to complete environmental and technical studies surrounding the Suffolk project, including the design of a jetty to be built on Sizewell beach so that sea deliveries can be maximised.

Among the heavy loads due to arrive by sea are the two reactor pressure vessels - to be manufactured in France. Other components could be shipped in from elsewhere in the UK, from other European countries and from Japan.

Joan Girling, chairman of the Suffolk-based Communities Against Nuclear Expansion, said she was not surprised by the new delay in the Sizewell C project.

“There are many people and businesses rubbing their hands at the thought of new jobs and contracts but, even if Sizewell C eventually gets the go-ahead, it is just not going to start for two or three years at the earliest,” she said.


  • Someone needs to invest in this Country's energy infrastructure and it seems the Government is unable to pay for it, same as with the roads, rail etc.

    Report this comment


    Monday, April 29, 2013

  • Another attempt by the French to take control of the UK.

    Report this comment

    John Haseltine

    Monday, April 29, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Stock photo - Clown pranksters have been spotted in suffolk this weekend

Suffolk police officers have been called to a clown sighting in Haughley, near Stowmarket this afternoon.

Police were called to the scene of an accident.

Severe traffic delays on the A12 in Feering, Essex, have been caused by a two car crash.

Gina Long

A Suffolk-based charity auction which has attracted bids from all over the world and raised more than £870,000 since its inception is aiming to break the £1million mark for national and local charities this year.

Suffolk Constabulary CCTV footage of Corrie McKeague

Some stores display a polite notice next to initial merchandise asking shoppers not to rearrange the items to create rude words.

Annual Apple Day at Holywells Park, on Saturday.Isabelle Lipscombe and Isabella Smart.

Hundreds of youngsters braved the cold October temperatures to celebrate all things autumn at the Holywells Park Apple Day.

Jordan Georgiou who has escaped from custody

Police are searching for a 22-year-old man from Clacton who has escaped custody while being treated at Colchester General Hospital.

Police are investigating the incident

A 27-year-old man from Halstead has been charged on two counts of child abduction and one of assault after an incident in Colchester involving two children aged 11.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists

Don't miss


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24