max temp: 12°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

St Edmundsbury: More than 400 affordable homes to be built around Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill by 2018 after £8million Government funding

08:00 14 August 2014

Picture by Mike Page shows 

Bury St Edmunds

Picture by Mike Page shows Bury St Edmunds

© Mike Page all rights reserved. Before any use is made of this image including display, publication, broadcast, syndication or

The housing crisis in west Suffolk has been given an £8million boost that will see more than 400 new affordable homes built across the region.


The major funding has been awarded to the Havebury Housing Partnership from the Government’s Homes and Communities Agency, as part of its Affordable Homes Programme.

The project will deliver 427 new homes around Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill by 2018. Designs and construction for over 130 of these will begin in the next few months.

Scott Bailey, head of development at Havebury, who submitted the grant application, said: “This is such fantastic news for both the local community and for Havebury.

“This is the first time we have been awarded such a significant grant on our own.”

The EADT reported yesterday that the cost of delivering St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s housing services had soared by around £4million in four years, while around 3,000 people are currently on the council’s social housing waiting list.

St Edmundsbury’s cabinet member for housing, Anne Gower, said: “I am delighted that the Government has recognised our determination to tackle the shortage of affordable housing.

“This council has worked hard with Havebury to prepare ‘ready to go’ affordable housing schemes that belong at the top of the list for funding.

“We are taking direct action with opportunities across the board, and these are just the first of more much needed affordable homes we look forward to delivering.”

Sites that formed part of the bid include seven homes on a garage site at Mitchell Avenue in Bury and 21 homes on the former snooker club site in Haverhill.

A Havebury spokeswoman said it had worked with the relevant local authorities to ensure the schemes proposed in the bid “meet local housing need and are therefore the right size, right location and right type”.

Havebury chief executive Karen Mayhew added: “These new homes will deliver much needed social housing in the area.

“These homes will go some way to transforming the lives of people who have difficulty finding a home of their own.

“Now the real work starts, working with the local community and getting schemes started on site.”

Havebury previously received grant funding as part of a development consortium, made up of housing associations from across Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.

The consortium had received £14m from the Homes and Communities Agency to help build 770 new affordable homes across the region between 2011 and 2015.



  • As I have already asked the question of Ipswich Borough Council, I ask St Edmundsbury Council the same question, how many of your former Council Homes are now owned by Private Investors ?, and how many are you renting back from these Private investors ?

    Report this comment


    Friday, August 15, 2014

  • Yes of course Affordable Homes are needed, however while Tenants are still able to buy 'Social Homes' at up to 60% discount !, I'm afraid your fighting a losing battle !. Only today it has been reported that one London Borough is paying £500,000 per year renting back Council properties that they have previously sold from Investors !. So somebody should reverse this ludicrous Law that allows Tenants to still their Buy Social Homes !

    Report this comment


    Thursday, August 14, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Suffolk County Council's cabinet arrived at Elstree today - the home of the Star Wars franchise.

The day after county councillors discussed cutting millions from the authority’s budget over the next two years, its cabinet members are on a £4,000 training course at the world famous Elstree studios.

Nick Alexander, who died in the Bataclan massacre, in Paris, France. Photo: Foreign & Commonwealth Office/PA Wire.

The parents of Essex man Nick Alexander, killed in the Paris terror attacks two weeks’ ago, have released a statement ahead of a memorial service taking place in the French capital today.

High winds are set to hit Suffolk and Essex. PA Photo: Chris Ison.

A yellow weather warning for high winds has been issued by the Met Office for Essex and Suffolk across the weekend.

Bogus caller victim. Library image.

A Hadleigh resident has fallen prey to a phone scam run by crooks posing as bogus police officers.

Ben Gummer and Mark Pendlington at Ipswich rail station.

Campaigners seeking to improve rail services between East Anglia and London have insisted that the new report into infrastructure is good for the region – because it makes little reference to the route.

Museum bosses have gone back to the drawing board following their lottery bid rejection.

Hopes of a multi-million-pound lottery windfall for Ipswich Museum have been dashed – forcing borough chiefs to reconsider the ambitious £23m project to transform the High Street campus.

Colchester town centre

Two sisters have been jailed for the theft of a purse from a woman, 89, in Colchester.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24