Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 10°C

ESTD 1874 Search

St Osyth: Woman treated for smoke inhalation after bungalow fire in Point Clear Road

20:18 26 July 2014

Essex fire engines

Essex fire engines

Archant

A woman in her 50s has been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a bungalow.

Two crews from Clacton and one from Weeley were alerted to the blaze at a detached property in Point Clear Road, St Osyth, at about 6.45pm today.

The kitchen was found to be heavily smoke logged and a woman suffering from smoke inhalation was placed into the care of the ambulance service.

The fire was out shortly after 7pm. The woman’s cat and dog were also rescued by firefighters.

The blaze is believed to have started because the woman left food under the grill.

Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick, from the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service, said: “It is frightening how quickly cooking can become a deadly disaster. Just a moment’s distraction is all it takes for cooking to start a fire.

“We know how easy it is to become distracted in the kitchen, busy family lives, phones, tablets, computers and television combine to make people lose their focus in the kitchen and that is when potentially deadly fires can start.

“Cooking might be an everyday activity but it is a major cause of fires in the home and it is vital that people do not get distracted when they are cooking.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Ed Sheeran has donated 13 bags of clothes to his local St Elizabeth Hospice shop. Left to right, shop manager Rachail Pollard and Samantha Catling.

Dozens of Ed Sheeran fans descended into the St Elizabeth Hospice shop in Framlingham yesterday to get their hands on the singer’s clothes, raising £2,500 for the local charity.

A coastal resort is to lose its Tourist Information Centre – because it is not being used enough.

The Ipswich flood barrier currently under construction

Stopping a particularly high spring tide from flooding Ipswich is, on paper, relatively simple, writes John Norman, of The Ipswich Society.

L-R Dad Christopher Hodgkinson, James and mum Angela together on holiday

A nine-year-old boy from Suffolk is preparing to fly to Rome for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – where he will sing for the Pope.

RAF Honington - Barnham Camp.

A 62-year-old motorcyclist who died at the scene of a two vehicle collision near RAF Barnham on Thursday has been named as Peter Hancock from Sudbury.

Made in Dagenham's Daniella Bowen and cast. Photo: Mark Sepple

It’s been nearly 50 years since women workers at Ford’s Dagenham plant went on strike for equal rights, writes Wayne Savage.

Do you know this man? Police have released an e-fit image following a burglary in Braintree

Police have released an e-fit image of a man they want to speak to in connection to a burglary in Braintree.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24