Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Stansted: Medieval weapons including axes, swords and daggers, worth £6,000, stolen from Mountfitchet Castle

PUBLISHED: 16:48 17 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:14 17 March 2014

Some of the weapons stolen from Mountfitchet Castle

Some of the weapons stolen from Mountfitchet Castle

Archant

Thieves have stolen a trove of medieval weapons from Mountfitchet Castle in Essex.

The gang targeted the castle in Stansted on Saturday evening. Despite high security they managed to break into the Armoury in the Grand Hall and stole a large number of weapons including razor sharp double-handed swords, daggers, axes, helmets and chainmail.

Footage of the burglars was recorded using night-vision secirity cameras and has been passed on to the police.

A spokesman for the castle said a substantial reward would be offered for any information which leads to the return of the items.

Essex Police said: “Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a burglary at Mountfitchet Castle on Lower Street.

“Thieves broke into the armoury between 7pm on Saturday, March 15 and 7am on Sunday and stole a number of historic weapons.

“Anyone with information is urged to contact the investigating officers at Saffron Waldon police station on 101.”

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Greater Anglia passengers have become happier about their journeys over the last year according to a new survey by the official watchdog Transport Focus.

Emergency services treated a man for suspected leg injuries after he became trapped between two cars at an industrial premises in Needham Market this morning.

Primary school pupils left the classroom barefooted in a symbolic show of support for children without shoes around the world.

A charity supporting West Suffolk Hospital has launched its biggest ever fundraising campaign in a bid to fund a diagnostic unit at a new cardiac centre being built at the Bury St Edmunds site.

An ‘outstanding’ Suffolk school will be welcoming younger children when lessons resume after the summer holidays.

A 52-year-old drink-driver who hit a cemetery wall before leaving 400 homes without power after hitting a sub station has been banned from driving for 20 months.

Safety failings uncovered by health inspectors at an Essex care home put residents at risk of being trapped inside if the building caught fire, a new report warns.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24