September 24 2014 Latest news:
By Matt Hunter
Thursday, July 18, 2013
Fire crews battled a blaze at a major Suffolk factory complex for more than two hours this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the Muntons site in Needham Road, Stowmarket, at just after 1.10pm after an alarm sounded.
The blaze involved about one tonne’s worth of malt flour and following a further call to the fire service additional resources were sent.
Crews from Needham Market, Elmswell, Princes Street, Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth were all dispatched.
At 1.30pm the fire was located in a four-storey detached building measuring 30x30m which is used for to make malt.
Fire was found on the second-floor involving grain in silo. Crews worked to isolate gas and electricity supplies.
Two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a thermal imaging camera were used.
By 2.05pm the building was smoke logged and crews worked to contain the fire.
Appliances across Suffolk including from Newmarket, Stowmarket, Wickhambrook and Bury St Edmunds were all put on stand-by.
Just after 2.50pm a risk assessment of the building was made as crews worked to remove smouldering grain from the first and ground floor levels of the building.
Some staff were allowed back to buildings unaffected by the fire.
Fire chiefs reported the blaze to be under-control by 3.15pm.