Sudbury: Cats rescued from house fire
PUBLISHED: 17:43 10 February 2013 | UPDATED: 17:45 10 February 2013
THREE cats had to be rescued from a burning house after a fire broke out in a tumble dryer.
Fire fighters were called to the incident in Mountbatten Road, Sudbury just after 3.45pm.
Two crews from Sudbury and a further crew from Long Melford attended. No-one was in the two storey terraced property when the fire started. A neighbour called for help after hearing a smoke alarm.
At the scene, crew commander Danny Forster said: “We had to force entry through the front door and found the tumble dryer in the kitchen well alight.
“Thankfully no-one was injured as the property was not occupied at the time. Fortunately the people in the neighbouring property were alerted to the fire when the smoke alarm went off, which highlights the importance of having smoke detectors fitted.”
He added: “We did find three cats inside the property and two of those have now been handed over to a vet.”
One hose reel and a covering jet were used to bring the blaze under control by 4.20pm. Fire fighters ventilated the property and remained at the scene for more than an hour.