Sudbury: Blocked drains lead to flooding at family home

Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm. Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.

Jon Vale West Suffolk reporter jon.vale@archant.co.uk
Saturday, August 16, 2014
10:30 AM

A young family forced out of their home by flooding has appealed for the authorities’ help as they face up to yet another month of disruption.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.Lewis Hunt and Gemma Wintin are pictured at their home in Raleigh Road in Sudbury which was flooded back in June after a storm.

Lewis Hunt, his partner Gemma Wintin and their two young children saw their house in Sudbury overcome by around a foot of floodwater in June due to overflowing drains at the front and rear of their home.

Two other properties were also flooded out, with the end-of-terrace houses in Raleigh Road all sitting on low ground.

Suffolk County Council says the drains in Raleigh Road are especially difficult, while they are going to dig up the road and explore the problem to come up with a solution.

Miss Wintin was alone with her two young children on June 29 when the water started pouring in.

“It was like a brown river coming down the garden,” she said.

“We rung the police, fire and council and they didn’t come out - three authorities didn’t want to know.”

The couple rent the house privately and had hoped to stay there long-term, but are now living with Miss Wintin’s parents.

Mr Hunt estimates the flooding has caused at least £5,000 worth of damage, but an insurance assessment has still not been carried out seven weeks after the incident.

A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said the council has a schedule for clearing drains, while engineers are sent to deal with flooded areas as quickly as possible.

He added: “We have, however, experienced particular difficulties in Raleigh Road.

“Our attempts to flush out the drainage pipes have been complicated by particular T junctions in the pipework. We’ve also sent cameras down but, again, haven’t been able to identify and clear any blockages.

“We’re now planning to excavate the ground and, potentially, build a chamber over the trouble spot so that we can access the pipework when we need to. We’re confident this will rectify the situation.”

Jackie Clarke, who lives next door, has lived at her property for 38 years and said she had been flooded three times before - twice in a week in 1987 and again in 2005.

She added: “It’s the drains, we all know that - they are inadequate. These houses should never have been built.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT