Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 5°C

Search

Sudbury: Cats rescued from house fire

17:43 10 February 2013

A fire at a house in Mountbatten Road, Sudbury started in a tumble dryer

A fire at a house in Mountbatten Road, Sudbury started in a tumble dryer

Archant

THREE cats had to be rescued from a burning house after a fire broke out in a tumble dryer.

Fire fighters were called to the incident in Mountbatten Road, Sudbury just after 3.45pm.

Two crews from Sudbury and a further crew from Long Melford attended. No-one was in the two storey terraced property when the fire started. A neighbour called for help after hearing a smoke alarm.

At the scene, crew commander Danny Forster said: “We had to force entry through the front door and found the tumble dryer in the kitchen well alight.

“Thankfully no-one was injured as the property was not occupied at the time. Fortunately the people in the neighbouring property were alerted to the fire when the smoke alarm went off, which highlights the importance of having smoke detectors fitted.”

He added: “We did find three cats inside the property and two of those have now been handed over to a vet.”

One hose reel and a covering jet were used to bring the blaze under control by 4.20pm. Fire fighters ventilated the property and remained at the scene for more than an hour.

0 comments

Emergency services have been called to a stabbing incident in Mersea Road, Colchester this evening.

Parents have criticised the decision of an Ipswich school to go-ahead with a trip to a theme park despite the threat of an amber weather warning after claims a tree fell onto a slide the children were playing on.

A driver clocked doing 129mph on the A14 has been banned for six months.

Police are searching for a man in a car who approached a nine-year-old girl in Stowmarket.

Community leaders at two east Suffolk district councils which are set to merge to save money are raising their tax by just over 3% in April.

A leisure centre has reopened today following a closure of more than two months due to the discovery of the Legionella bacteria.

Two former Ipswich Town FC players say the dangers of heading in football have been blown out of proportion and that it would ruin the sport if any changes to the game were made.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24