December 11 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, January 3, 2013
A PLASTICS manufacturer has been ordered to pay more than £15,000 after “dangerous” electrical fittings were found at its Sudbury factory.
Techplas Limited, of the Chilton Industrial Estate, pleaded guilty to breaching a health and safety regulation that magistrates were told would have posed “an immediate danger to workers.”
Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court was told that Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors had found a live 400 volt cabling hanging off the wall and a broken socket when they visited the firm in October 2011 on an unrelated issue.
The court was told that three prohibition orders were made ordering improvements. The company was fined was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £5,930 in costs.
After the hearing HSE inspector Saffron Turnell, said it was “a matter of luck that nobody had been injured or electrocuted.” Calls to Techplas Limited by the EADT last night went unanswered.