Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Sudbury: Push to get 1,250-home development back on track

06:00 31 July 2014

Frank Lawrenson

Frank Lawrenson

Archant

Plans to build up to 1,250 on the outskirts of Sudbury are back on the agenda, with a new group forming to oversee how the pivotal development should take shape.

The long-awaited 270-acre Chilton Woods scheme is one of Suffolk’s key sites for delivering vital additional housing and employment over the next 20 years.

But the proposal has been plagued with delays, with two of the county council’s development partners pulling out of the project.

The most recent, Redrow Homes, abandoned its plans citing that escalating costs had made the project unviable.

The county council, which is the site’s major landowner, resolved to invest £1.6million to get Chilton Woods back on track and pledged to move forward without a developer in place.

It was recently revealed that the local authority is considering increasing the number of homes on the site from the original 1,050 planned to 1,250 in a bid to increase the viability of the project.

And now, the Chilton Woods place shaping group has also been reconvened to work with consultants on what the development should contain.

Babergh councillor Frank Lawrenson, who is part of the group, said: “There has been a meeting in the past couple of weeks with the consultants and things are moving again.

“The whole of Babergh’s core strategy hinges on Chilton Woods – if it doesn’t happen then its back to the drawing board for the whole region so it cannot fail.

“Now that the county council is in the driving seat, we are a step forward and it is far more likely that there will be a viable plan with planning permission in place by the end of the year.”

The masterplan for Chilton Woods is currently being refreshed and a further round of public consultation is expected to be held in autumn.

County councillor for the patch, Jenny Antill, said: “Most of the delivery of the affordable homes in the area hinges on getting the Chilton Woods development moving so it is vital to the area.

“The focus group has been resurrected to look at the detail of what is needed and the plan is to get the necessary planning permission in by the end of the year.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Scene of house fire in Lupin Way, Clacton-on-Sea. Picture by: Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.

A family have been left homeless after a fire “completely destroyed” their house in the early hours of this morning.

017 NB Jaywick residence at the Evacation Centre on Friday.

People’s community spirit has been praised by council chiefs after Tendring residents helped those affected by the severe flood warnings in Mistley and Jaywick last week.

Elbow at Latitude. Jen O'Neill favourite pictures of the year

Top alternative rock band Elbow are the latest addition to the Thetford Forest summer concert line-up this year.

There are fears the service could close

The future of a day care centre used by vulnerable older people hangs in the balance as a consultation into Age UK Suffolk services continues.

Where will the Northern Bypass go?

Today the potential routes for the northern bypass - taking traffic away from Ipswich town centre - have been revealed but it could take at least 15 years for any work on a new road to start.

Detectives look at the body of Bernard Oliver, whose body was found in a field at Tattingstone

A Suffolk man is convinced he had a chilling encounter with the Tattingstone suitcase murderer just two days before Bernard Oliver’s dismembered body was found 50 years ago today.

The rising tide at Southwold, Taken around 8pm Friday night as the storm surge hit. Picture: Jim Ellis

Every weekend our iwitness community is snapping brilliant pictures of Suffolk and we have picked out just a couple that stood out from your weekend.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24