Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 12°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Sudbury: Town clerk will not appeal against dismissal

09:00 24 February 2014

Former Sudbury town clerk, Sue Brotherwood

Former Sudbury town clerk, Sue Brotherwood

Archant

A “heartbroken” town clerk has said she will not appeal against a shock decision to sack her from the post after 20 years of service.

shares

Sue Brotherwood was suspended from the role of Sudbury town clerk on December 23 on full pay, because of a “procedural” matter.

The town council carried out an internal investigation lasting almost two months before Mrs Brotherwood was informed last week that she no longer had a job.

Sudbury mayor Adrian Osborne confirmed the town clerk was “no longer employed by the town council” but he said she had 14 days to lodge an appeal.

But last night, Mrs Brotherwood, 61, said she had been “dismissed” from her position as town clerk and would not be appealing against the decision.

She said: “I now realise that I would not be able to continue to work for the town council with the same enthusiasm and loyalty, even if I were given the opportunity to do so. The whole matter has been extremely stressful for the council as well as me and my staff.”

The details around Mrs Brotherwood’s departure have been shrouded in secrecy and Mr Osborne said the council could not make an official comment until the 14-day appeal period had elapsed.

He said he understood people were curious as to why the long-serving clerk had lost her job, but added: “We have to be fair to everyone involved and ensure that the correct procedure is adhered to. It would not be fair to make any comment at this stage.”

Mrs Brotherwood, who has taken legal advice, was not specific about the reasons for her departure.

But in a letter sent exclusively to this newspaper, she said: “Unfortunately for me, documents and important papers which I know existed before my suspension can no longer be found.

“Things made it impossible for me to provide proof on matters raised to the council by a whistleblower, who in a stressed and shocked state I was unkind to. I acknowledge this and regret it happening.”

Mrs Brotherwood, of Melford Road, is adamant during her 20 years in office, the town council has never suffered any financial loss through her actions.

She continued: “I know through careful management I have saved thousands of pounds over the years. I have never gained personally and I always had the best interests of the town council’s staff at heart.

“I acknowledge that some actions were not in line with town council policy, and again I regret this.”

Mrs Brotherwood said it had been an honour to serve the town and to lead such a “wonderful dedicated team of staff”.

Her former deputy, Jacqui Howells, has stepped up to the role of town clerk.

Mrs Brotherwood added: “I feel heartbroken at leaving such lovely people. I hope they can find the strength to carry on and give as much support to the new town clerk as they always did to me.

“I would like to thank everyone who has worked with me and helped make my position of town clerk so enjoyable.

“It was a wonderful job – very demanding and stressful but rewarding as well.”

shares

0 comments

An artist's impression of the new heritage centre.

A proposal to develop a new £17m heritage centre to hold most of Suffolk’s Records at Ipswich’s UCS campus is expected to be endorsed by the county’s cabinet next week.

A double lightining strike has hit and destroyed a house. Darren Hobson surveys the damage. Picture: Stephen Huntley.

A hero father-of-six who led his family to safety following a lightning strike to his home has praised his neighbours’ support.

Stuart Cullen, from the Lowestoft area, who died in the terrorist attack in Tunisia.

The family of a man who died in the Tunisian massacre have paid tribute to their “third musketeer”.

Joy Poppy, aged 82, who died following a collision in Woodbridge on July 1

Mrs Poppy died after a collision in New Street, Woodbridge, on Wednesday.

Libby Brown headteacher at Kyson Primary, Woodbridge.

A board of school governors has launched a fierce attack on Suffolk County Council after their headteacher had to stop work for seven weeks.

BBC Radio Suffolk's Mark Murphy with one of the Scamnesty bids

A Suffolk Trading Standards Scamnesty campaign is using special bins across the county in a bid to snare unscrupulous conmen.

Cedar House, Pytches Road, Melton - set to have ten new homes in its grounds.

Developers who have bought a prime site on the edge of Woodbridge from the district council expect to submit proposals to create new homes next month.

Beach patrol rescue spaniels from Clacton beach.
Owner and her dogs.

A beach patrol team at Clacton swung into action to rescue two dogs yesterday evening.

Police in Ipswich are investigating a number of incidents where eggs were thrown at people and buildings in the town.

Culford Girls under 18 Hockey Team January 1990

Were you a member of the Culford girls under 18 hockey team in January 1990. Were you in the squad photographed here?

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages