Rain

Rain

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 4°C

Search

Suffolk: Banned beggar Carl Horth jailed for flouting Asbo the day after it was made

PUBLISHED: 12:38 30 January 2014 | UPDATED: 12:38 30 January 2014

Carl Horth jailed after flouting ban on begging in England and Wales

Carl Horth jailed after flouting ban on begging in England and Wales

Archant

A Suffolk man banned from begging anywhere in England and Wales was jailed today after breaching his Asbo the day after it was made.

Serial beggar Carl Horth was set to prison for 16 weeks after he flouted the order imposed on him on Monday.

Lowestoft Magistrates’ Court heard Horth, 26, of Denmark Road, Lowestoft, was barred from asking for money, drink or food, but within 24 hours was out begging again.

Corinne Gook-Hurren, prosecuting, said on Tuesday at 12.40pm Horth approached a motorist who was eating a chicken takeaway meal in a carpark near the CEFAS laboratory near Pakefield.

Horth asked the motorist: “Come on, I am starving, can I have a piece of chicken?”

At 4pm on the same day Horth then asked woman in a car in London Road South for “50p for a coffee”. He was then seen knocking on the window of a van,

Horth was given the ASBO on Monday after he admitted to four counts of begging.

The offences took place in Claremont Road, London Road North and Peto Way earlier this month.

Monday’s hearing meant Horth had 57 convictions for 140 offences, mostly related to begging.

Richard Mann, mitigating for Horth at today’s hearing, said: “We are dealing with someone who has educational problems. He has got learning difficulties.”

Mr Mann said the root of Horth’s recent offending was that he was not receiving benefits after he was released from prison after serving a six week sentence imposed in December for begging and threatening behaviour following an incident at Lowestoft Library.

Jane Bowles, jailing Horth for 16 weeks after he admitted breaching his Asbo, said: “This is in light of your many breaches in the past, your prolific offending in the past.

Horth could have bene jailed for up to five years for breaching the indeterminate Asbo.

After the case, PC Mark Sargeant, of the Lowestoft North Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “We’re aware of how much distress his begging has caused law-abiding members of the public.

“A lot of work has been going on behind the scenes not only to catch him but to gather evidence so that measures could be put in place to deal with his behaviour.”

Anyone who wishes to report begging in Lowestoft should ring police on 101.

Highways bosses have announced they will be carrying out a series of improvements to the road network across Suffolk and north Essex this week.

Police have arrested a 66-year-old man in connection with an incident that caused armed officers to swoop on Ipswich town centre tonight.

Kebab fans will be excited to hear a new fast food outlet that prides itself on making top quality versions of the takeaway staple is opening in Ipswich soon.

Drivers in Woodbridge have faced long delays this afternoon after a major route through the town became flooded.

Firefighters were sent to tackle a blaze that broke out in a flat in Ipswich this afternoon.

Colchester MP Will Quince has described a knife attack in the town that left a teenager seriously hurt as “deeply alarming”.

The shocking prevalence of rape in Ipswich has been uncovered in an EADT and Star investigation.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24