Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Suffolk: Heating engineer cleared of manslaughter

PUBLISHED: 10:59 10 July 2014 | UPDATED: 10:59 10 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer accused of killing a customer by failing to properly service their boiler has been cleared of manslaughter.

Peter Sykes, 68, was found guilty on Tuesday of health and safety failings relating to work he carried out for Annette Coe, 72, who later died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yesterday, following three days of deliberation, the jury at Norwich Crown Court found him not guilty of the more serious charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Mrs Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her property in St Edmunds Road, Ipswich, on December 5, 2012 – 47 days after Sykes last serviced her oil-fired heating system. She was pronounced dead the following day.

William Carter, for the prosecution, had argued that Sykes’ failure to clear the flue during an annual inspection on October 19, 2012, caused a blockage, which resulted in “poisonous gas circulating around her home at fatal levels”.

“The defendant’s failure was grossly negligent to the extent, the crown alleges, that his actions amount to the criminal offence of manslaughter,” he said.

Two of Mrs Coe’s daughters, Sarah Licence and Bridget Coe, had raised the alarm on the evening of December 5, the court heard.

They became concerned after their mother, who lived alone, failed to answer the phone, and contacted William Coe, their brother, who arrived at the property at around 11pm.

He entered to find his mother lying unconscious on the floor and attempted resuscitation before paramedics took her to hospital.

Doctors described the level of carbon monoxide as “extremely high” and said nothing could be done. She died on December 6.

Sykes, of Castle Road, Hadleigh, insisted he had carried out a proper service in October and claimed it was also clean and operational when he returned on December 3 to fit a replacement solenoid coil.

The self-employed heating engineer, who had been servicing Mrs Coe’s boiler for more than 40 years, maintained that a sudden fracture with the heat exchanger – where fresh air meets heated air – had led to the blockage.

He said he followed a methodical routine from which he never deviated and would always check the flue and chimney for blockages.

“That would be the most important thing,” he said.

“It’s a case of life and I value life a lot more than just skipping and skiving on a routine.”

The jury, however, found him guilty under the Health and Safety at Work Act Section 3 (2) for failing to undertake his duty in such a way as to prevent exposing Mrs Coe to risks to her health and safety.

Sykes was also found guilty under the same act in respect to boiler inspections he carried out at Melvyn Smith’s property in Raydon and Mary Blyton’s gas heating system in Woodbridge.

He will return to court for sentencing at a later date.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Inspired by tragic loss, heartfelt thanks or loved ones gone to soon - dozens of brave souls came together in appreciation of Suffolk’s largest hospital today.

With the UK terror threat level being lowered to ‘severe’, Suffolk’s Chief Constable Gareth Wilson has reassured residents that policing will remain more highly visible for the coming weekend.

The Stowmarket magician Matt Edwards is on Britain’s Got Talent sister show Britain’s Got More Talent tonight (May 27)

The mother of missing RAF Honington serviceman Corrie McKeague, 23, has said as the days turn to months, it is difficult to remain positive.

The farmer who played a pivotal role in shaping and modernising the organisation behind next week’s Suffolk Show says he is very thankful for the support he has received.

Political campaigning is often unpredictable – and so it proved when we joined the Labour and Conservative teams fighting the marginal seat of Ipswich on Saturday morning.

The threat of a terrorist attack has been lowered by the government – meaning troops should no longer be patrolling the streets after Monday evening.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24