Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Hundreds of free ferry crossings during closure of bridge on safety grounds

PUBLISHED: 08:57 06 October 2018 | UPDATED: 13:47 06 October 2018

The Walberswick-Southwold ferry crossing Picture: PETER BOTT

The Walberswick-Southwold ferry crossing Picture: PETER BOTT

(c) copyright citizenside.com

Five hundred free ferry crossings have been provided following the closure of a footbridge linking two of Suffolk’s most popular coastal destinations.

Suffolk Highways arranged free trips on the ferry to minimise the impact of the closure of the Walberswick-Southwold Bailey Bridge, which is not expected to open until “further notice”.

The bridge, which crosses the River Blyth has been closed amid safety fears, following a recent inspection.

Free crossings via the Walberswick to Southwold Ferry Service were offered from Wednesday to Friday, to give people time to find alternative arrangements.

Yesterday evening, Suffolk Highways confirmed around 250 return trips – 500 in total – had been offered under the scheme.

Meanwhile, Suffolk Highways said it was working the local community to keep people informed.

“Work is ongoing to complete the assessment of the bridge’s condition, including what repairs are required and the cost associated with this,” a spokesman said.

“As soon as further details come to light we will keep you informed. The bridge will remained closed until further notice.”

A jackknifed lorry has caused major traffic delays on the A14 in west Suffolk this morning.

The 90-year-old man who was found with serious injuries at the Suffolk home where his wife’s lifeless body was discovered, has also died.

Suffolk County Council has vowed to tackle period poverty – but fell short of committing cash to the cause.

A former Bury St Edmunds man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls more than two decades ago has been cleared by a jury.

Crimes including theft and weapons possession have risen more sharply in Suffolk and Essex than on average across the rest of the country.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the death of a 22-year-old high risk missing person from Hartest.

The tragic death of a woman in a crash on the A12 has sparked further calls for the road’s safety issues to be tackled.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24