Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Suffolk: Residents of tiny community fear becoming “Industrial city”

PUBLISHED: 09:23 30 January 2014 | UPDATED: 09:23 30 January 2014

Residents in Theberton and Eastbridge are becoming increasingly concerned about the future plans at  Sizewell C for a 3,000 bed hostel that could turn the Parish into an 'Industrial City'.

Residents in Theberton and Eastbridge are becoming increasingly concerned about the future plans at Sizewell C for a 3,000 bed hostel that could turn the Parish into an 'Industrial City'.

Sarah Lucy brown

A community group fears a big increase in traffic and a large influx of workers could turn a small country parish into an “industrial city” if the Sizewell C nuclear power project goes ahead.

The Theberton and Eastbridge Action Group was formed last year after proposals were put forward for a workers’ hostel in the parish and the use of the existing B1122 road by construction traffic.

The group’s aims – to reduce the impact on the community if the project does go ahead – have now been given overwhelming support by nearly 70 local people who attended a public meeting.

A report produced by the group says: “The combined effect of a massive increase in traffic, and the huge influx of workers, is out of scale with the area. A small country parish will be turned into an industrial city.”

Concerns highlighted include the impact on the environment, including noise and light pollution, and the risk of flooding and coastal instability endangering the power station.

However, the biggest worries include the possible siting of a 3,000-bed workers’ hostel amidst fears it would “swamp the tiny village of Eastbridge and completely overwhelm the local infrastructure”.

The group believes the B1122 is “unfit for purpose” in terms of Sizewell C traffic and it wants serious consideration given to proposals – first examined at the Sizewell B inquiry 30 years ago – for a new cross-country road from the nuclear site to the A12.

Local parishes are concerned that a year after EDF Energy’s Stage 1 public consultation no estimates for road, rail and sea traffic have been published.

Su Swallow, who co-chaired the meeting, said: “Underlying all our concerns is the fact that, a year after Stage 1 Consultation, too many questions remain unanswered by EDF and as long as that remains the case, it is not possible to formulate informed responses and thereby try to influence the planning of this major project.”

Suffolk County Council is currently undertaking a “desk-top” study of ideas which include a new cross-country road route. The study will subsequently be used in talks with EDF Energy.

An EDF Energy spokesman said the company was working closely with the county council which was aware of the process involved in assessing the transport impact.

“This is a lengthy process which involves consideration of the responses to Stage 1 consultation, careful examination of the capacity of sea and rail transport and development of the project proposals. Residents and local community groups indicated that they would like to see more details at the next stage of formal consultation and that is what we are working on to provide,” it said.

The company says it hopes to launch its Stage 2 public consultation “later this year”.

0 comments

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24