Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 11°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Beauty pageant judge spared jail over grooming and sexual assaulting girl

13:31 05 August 2014

Charlotte Holl leaving Ipswich Crown Court

Charlotte Holl leaving Ipswich Crown Court

A 25-year-old beauty pageant judge who groomed and sexually assaulted a young girl has been spared jail.

shares

Ipswich Crown Court heard Charlotte Holl had exchanged 1200 messages with the girl whom she contacted through texts and a social media network.

Holl, of Elizabeth Avenue, Newmarket, was given an 18-month sentence suspended for two years when she appeared at her sentencing hearing.

She had previously admitted four sexual assaults on a girl and being an adult who met a girl following grooming.

The court heard the offences included Holl touching the child’s inner leg over her clothing, kissing, and on one occasion putting her arm around the girl’s waist.

Prosecutor Robert Sadd said Holl had no previous convictions.

Duncan O’Donnell, representing Holl, said his client had presented herself as vulnerable and immature. He added that she was ashamed of her actions.

Mr O’Donnell told the court: “Throughout these proceedings she has indicated she has been horrified by what she did. She acknowledged in (police) interview what she did.

“These are offences that are never going to happen again.

“She has pleaded guilty and indicated her full horror over what she has done and in my submission while the custody threshold has been passed in the circumstances of this offending behaviour it is a custodial sentence that falls within the bracket that could be suspended.”

Sentencing Holl Judge Overbury acknowledged she was a vulnerable individual according to a pre-sentence report.

However, he also said: “It’s plain to me, as it was to the probation service, you certainly did have the intention of going further than kissing.”

Judge Overbury described Holl as carrying out the assaults for her own sexual satisfaction.

The court heard messages between Holl and the girl included Holl suggesting she was thinking of living with the girl and possibly taking her to Florida.

It was said Holl had clearly used grooming behaviour towards the child including cigarettes and alcohol.

Conversely the judge also acknowledged that probation officers do not see Holl as a danger to children and categorised her as a medium risk.

As well as her suspended sentence Holl was ordered to carry out 300 hours’ unpaid work within 12 months. She was also given a two-year supervision requirement.

In addition Judge Overbury made Holl the subject of Sexual Offences Prevention Order until further order “in order to protect young members of our society from you committing further offences”.

The restrictions include no unsupervised contact with a child aged under 16 and prohibiting Holl from attending any pageant nationally where females under 16 are performing.

Holl was also made subject to the notification requirements of the Sexual Offence Act for five years.

shares

2 comments

  • Well said, Robo. This appears as a nothing-article. This whole topic has been blown out of proportion and is totally sexist.

    Report this comment

    Mr Harris

    Wednesday, August 6, 2014

  • Is that it? Must be because she's a woman...

    Report this comment

    Robotix

    Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Seth and Eliza Gaw loved Latitude but planning was key, says dad Matt Gaw

With the mounting costs of family holidays, events like Latitude can be a genuine alternative to a traditional bucket and spade break.

The coffin of Stuart Cullen is carried from the RAF C-17 at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

The body of Suffolk man Stuart Cullen, one of 38 people killed in the Tunisian terror attack, has been returned to Britain today.

The incident happened on the A12

A lane on the A12 at the Foxhall roundabout near Martlesham was blocked following a three-vehicle crash.

Bolts of lightning during the storms above Ipswich in the early hours of Saturday, pictured by Tina Boniface

Fierce lightning storms swept over Suffolk and Essex last night.

John McGuire

A 25-year-old man who went missing from a mental health unit in Colchester has been found safe and well.

A broken down train has blocked the Marks Tey to Sudbury route

A broken down train has forced services between Sudbury and Marks Tey to be suspended – with delays expected for the rest of the day.

National Lottery winners pictured helping out on a build at Black Notley Community Association in Braintree, Essex. Pictured are the team working hard in the sunshine to complete the job.

Lottery winners with a combined worth of £25million mucked in to help create a holiday haven in Black Notley.

Suffolk county councillor Lisa Chambers

More than 90% of parents in Suffolk have had their first-choice places accepted for their children starting school this September, it has been revealed.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Train services have returned to normal between Ipswich and Felixstowe this evening following problems caused by a broken down train.

Hundreds of families gathered at Portman Road to watch the outdoor screening of Frozen.

Portman Road was transformed to a world of snowflakes and ice despite the 26C (78.8F) sunshine this morning.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages