Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 9°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Concern voiced at inquest of man who choked on food at hospital

10:00 22 January 2014

Ipswich Hospital

Ipswich Hospital


The family of a man who died after he choked on food given to him at Ipswich Hospital have been told that his death was “not in vain” and that “lessons will be learnt”.

Kenneth Thimblethorpe, of Roundwood Road in Ipswich, was admitted to the Heath Road site on July 22 with “severe left-sided weakness”.

A CT scan revealed that he had suffered a stroke.

He remained in the hospital and was with his brother and sister-in-law on August 12 when he was offered a selection of food.

He opted for a meal which included a fishcake. The inquest was told 
that Mr Thimblethorpe’s relatives were concerned about this because there was a sign above his bed that said he should only be given soft foods.

However, it was added during the hearing that the food had been cut up and his relatives felt that the hospital staff would “know best”.

Mr Thimblethorpe then appeared to start choking on the food and nurses and a doctor arrived at the room but they were unable to save him.

The inquest heard that Mr Thimblethorpe suffered a cardiac arrest but that the primary cause of his death was an intra-cerebral haemorrhage and not choking.

In notes discussed at the inquest, it was stated that the choking could have been a “product of the haemorrhage”.

Recording a verdict of death by natural causes, Kevin McCarthy, senior assistant coroner for Suffolk, said that concerns had been raised with the hospital.

He added: “Those concerns are being dealt with, I am glad to say, by Ipswich Hospital.

“I don’t think his death will be in vain because I have no doubt that Ipswich Hospital will look at this situation and learn its lessons from it.”

A spokeswoman for Ipswich Hospital said no further comments would be made on the inquest.


Empty classroom

Education bosses in Suffolk have welcomed latest figures which mark the county’s highest school attendance record in the last decade.

David Wood, 61, from Woodbridge, went missing while walking in the French Alps in August. Pictured: David Wood and his Wife Valerie Armstrong

The wife of a Woodbridge man who went missing while walking in France three months ago says she has been ‘wrapped in a cloak of love’ by people in the town since his disappearance.

Corrie McKeague

It is exactly one month to the day since 23-year-old Corrie McKeague apparently vanished in Bury St Edmunds – yet people with potentially vital information still have not come forward.

Fire investigators are trying to establish the cause of a blaze which started in a wood store and spread to two neighbouring Essex homes in the early hours of this morning.

Roadworks at Giles Circus.

Work to rebuild the Princes Street/Queen Street area in Ipswich town centre is now centred on Giles’ Circus – but county chiefs have promised this will be clear by the time the Christmas lights go on next month.

Lauri Love, accused of hacking into US Government computers, speaks to the media outside Westminster Magistrates' Court, London, where a judge ruled that he can be extradited to the US from Britain to stand trial. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire

More than 100 MPs are calling on Barack Obama to block the extradition of an autistic Suffolk man accused of hacking into US computers.

Migrants line-up to register at a processing centre in 'The Jungle' near Calais, northern France. Photo: John Stillwell/PA Wire

French authorities are today due to start clearing the refugee camp in Calais, known as ‘The Jungle’.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24