Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 14°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Suffolk County Council in dispute with roads contractor Kier over work valued at £1.5m

09:00 05 November 2015

Cabinet member James Finch.

Cabinet member James Finch.

Suffolk County Council and its highways contractors Kier have been in dispute over work worth about £1.5m, it has emerged.

But the authority says this is a very small proportion of the work that has been undertaken – and that talks between council and contractors are helping to resolve the issue.

The details of the dispute emerged during a meeting of the county’s scrutiny committee which was looking at the controversial contract with the civil engineering giant, which started in October 2013.

Opposition transport spokeswoman Sandra Gage said there remained serious problems with the contract – and two years into its five-year term these should have been ironed out.

She said: “They have been talking for some time about teething troubles but two years in it is too long to talk about teething troubles.

“There are serious issues that still need to be resolved. There have been disputes about £1.5m worth of work. That has to be sorted out.”

Ms Gage said there were signs that the council’s Conservative administration was starting to be tougher with the contractors and this has led her group to decide not to call immediately for the contract to be brought back in-house.

“But we are still concerned about the delays in carrying out work and the bureaucratic issues. There is still a lot to be done.”

Cabinet member for highways, James Finch, said things were improving – but it would be necessary to ensure some of the bureaucratic barriers were removed.

He was hopeful that there would be no more issues over contracts, but he added: “We shall continue to check all the invoices. We have to ensure council tax payers get the best possible value for money.

He said: “The scrutiny committed expressed some concern that there were outstanding invoices and the committee was informed at the meeting that a process of resolution for payment of these has been agreed.

“It was concluded at the meeting that there was a way forward for resolving and avoiding operational issues in the future by improved integration.

“There have been a lot of successful projects carried 
out this year. Approximately 
£20million worth of work has been completed since June this year, providing a cumulative of £80m worth of work since the beginning of the contract.This has been created through excess of 60,000 individual orders. A small number of these are in dispute but a way forward has been found to resolve these now and in the future.”

The scrutiny committee is expected to look again at how the highways contract is working next year to see if things are improving.

5 comments

  • Correct Esco, Newman was a figure to be regarded as highly efficient and competent when compared to the current offering whose name i cannot include in this comment lest i fall victim to moderation which seems to happen whenever it is mentioned in context.

    Report this comment

    Mike Hunt

    Thursday, November 5, 2015

  • Keir what a bunch of Cowboys I witnessed a small pothole outside our house being filled in by some obese Keir worker,he shuffled a few load of Tarmac in it and then proceeded to roll it in with tyre of the transit this is not the way to do it no wonder the company are losing contracts when you employ Cowboys like this the whole traffic system and work carried out needs to be over hauled and improved the Town and surrounding areas are a joke and total mess I don't think the council has a clue or the person who sanctions these road improvements sad day but it's totally true.

    Report this comment

    mr right

    Thursday, November 5, 2015

  • I had a face to face talk with Sandra Gage earlier this year about the state of the roads and traffic in Ipswich. I mentioned that at least Graham Newman had been sacked and she replied that his replacement was even worse. God help us.

    Report this comment

    Esco Fiasco

    Thursday, November 5, 2015

  • Ah the singing councillor James finch the man who replaced the legendary mr newman , where do they get these clowns from ...is he likely to admit that the roads were better under council workers , the private companies don't give a hoot and £1.5 million is a lot of money to be so casual about.

    Report this comment

    deeber

    Thursday, November 5, 2015

  • When you have one of the biggest civil engineering companies in the country arguing with our 'amateurs' at SCC there can only be one winner. When will we wake up and realise that all of this Tory privatisation - care homes, council work, transport etc. is pretty disastrous.

    Report this comment

    uk column

    Thursday, November 5, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Ben Wragge

Two teenagers arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the death of a 13-year-old boy in Thurston will face no further action, police have said.

Picture: Ian Burt

A seven-year-old girl who was reported as missing in Great Cornard just after 4pm today has been found safe and well.

Police Officers. Picture: James Bass.

An incident involving a loose dog in Carlton Colville left a ten-year-old boy with a puncture wound, police said last night.

The Ipswich Foyer in Star Lane.

Thousands of people have signed a petition in protest against the proposed closure of a supported housing scheme in Ipswich.

The Buttermarket complex is being transformed and will house a gym, restaurants and a multi-screen cinema - Janice Poulson

The Buttermarket Centre in Ipswich is currently being converted to include a 12-screen cinema and chain restaurants including Wagamama, writes David Kindred.

The A12 as it approaches the Copdock roundabout.

Drivers experienced long delays after three cars crashed on the A12 northbound near the Copdock roundabout this evening.

Liz Ayling is urging parents to donate PE kit and old uniform from middle schools to charity. Liz is pictured with Joseph (12) and Daniel (8) in Bury St Edmunds.

Parents of children at the four Bury St Edmunds middle schools which closed down last week are being urged to donate any spare PE kit they have to charity.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24