Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 4°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk/Essex: Large part of coastline to become Marine Conservation Zone

10:09 14 December 2012

Bass in the Kelp

Bass in the Kelp


MARINE life at a Suffolk estuary will be protected under law after the site was included in one of 31 conservation zones intended to prevent trawling and dredging.


Wildlife bosses welcomed yesterday’s announcement by the government that the Stour and Orwell estuary would become a Marine Conservation Zone but also voiced “disappointment” that sites at Orford and the Alde Ore estuary had been excluded as ministers rejected scientific advice to create 127 zones.

Julian Roughton, chief executive of Suffolk Wildlife Trust (SWT), said the creation of the 87 Sq km zone that stretches from Ipswich to parts of Frinton and Harwich in Essex was “significant.”

He added: “The Stour and Orwell estuary is hugely important and we welcome this additional protection for what is a nursery ground for many fish species like bass.

“Blue mussel beds and native oysters and other commercially important fish like Dover sole, herring and whiting are also at the site.”

The 31 new zones unveiled by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) will cover an area three times the area of Cornwall and are expected to allow some fishing to continue.

An £8m assessment involving the government’s own science advisers recommended 127 marine conservation zones were designated, including 58 said to be severely threatened and in need of immediate protection.

Mr Roughton said: “Although the 31 sites are welcome we are still disappointed that there are not more.”

The SWT boss, who said he had hoped for a network of zones to protect the UK’s sealife, said he was particularly concerned that a long stretch of Orford inshore had not been included in the plans.

He said that Orford crab fishermen had backed the proposals, which although not affecting their fishing, would have prevented a number of non British trawlers from operating in the area.

Jean-Luc Solandt, at the Marine Conservation Society, said the decision to reject proposals for 127 zones was “pitiful.”

He added: “We cannot delay protection. We would not stand by and let wildflower meadows and ancient forests be dug up and cleared, and yet heavy fishing gear is dragged across all kinds of habitats, destroying large swathes of the seabed with very little control.”

Mr Solandt said the fishing industry would benefit from large-scale protection zones where bottom trawling was outlawed but fishing with fixed nets, pots and lines was allowed.

Environment minister Richard Benyon said: “The UK has one of the world’s richest marine environments, and we need to make sure it stays that way.”

“We have to get this right. Designating the right sites in the right places, so that our seas are sustainable, productive and healthy, and to ensure that the right balance is struck between conservation and industry.”

Referring to the proposed 127 zones, Mr Benyon added: “The scientific evidence base for a large proportion of the zones was just not up to scratch.”

A further £3.5m is now being spent on gathering more evidence that could support more zones being designated in future.



  • Why have you illustrated this with a photo from California? That fish may well be known as a bass there, but the one mentioned in this piece is a large silver shoaling fish, Dicentrarchus labrax. Good luck with finding kelp forest off East Anglia too! The only reason these sites were allowed through was that they would have no effect on the extraction or fishing industries.

    Report this comment

    Dawn Watson

    Tuesday, December 18, 2012

  • With well presented and well founded arguments, 127 sites of which 58 are under serious threat, and they give 31. I can just imagine the meeting. Give them the minimum just to keep them happy. Now we can live on the 3.5million in the next round. Well done. Spineless people making the non-decisions again.

    Report this comment


    Monday, December 17, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

The A134 at Assington.

This year’s death toll on Suffolk’s roads is now the worst since 2009 after six fatalities in the last 13 days, according to police figures.

Juliet Bellfield's charity committee has raised almost £1m for cancer care

Fellow fundraisers have paid tribute to the “inspirational” leadership of a Suffolk woman who helped generate almost £1million for cancer care.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 43-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a seven-year-old girl has told a court he drove off in his car when he was confronted about the allegations by her father because he did not want a fight.

Colin Noble

Suffolk County Council could consider increasing its element of council tax bills for the first time since 2010 following the Chancellor’s Autumn Statement.

Secretary of State for Transport the Patrick McLoughlin (left) sitting with Haven Gateway Partnership chairman George Kieffer at a meeting held in Colchester about the A120. Picture: Warren Page

A final plan for a dual carriageway A120 between Colchester and Braintree could be presented to the public by autumn 2017.

On going work at Ipswich Station

Work on a near-£2million refurbishment of Ipswich railway station has started – and is set to continue until August next year.

Chloe Smith MP and Mark Pendlington.

The review into Network Rail’s investment proposals has been published – but there is little mention of any work to improve the main rail line between East Anglia and London.

An artist's impression of the restored brewery.

This is a first look at how a refurbished and converted former Tolly Cobbold brewery will be at the centre of a new housing development on Ipswich waterfront.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne delivers his joint Autumn Statement and Spending Review. Photo: PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne said councils could put up council tax bills by an extra 2% if the increase was reserved to cover social care costs as he delivered his Autumn Statement today..

Kieron Dyer on I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. Photo:  ITV/PA Wire

Former Ipswich Town midfielder Kieron Dyer shocked fans tonight when he quit ITV programme I’m A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here’, before making a U-turn decision.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24