Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 9°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk/Essex: Men overboard cry sparks mystery as illegal immigrants who jumped from Stena ferry not found

10:58 27 February 2014

Search and rescue operation off the coast of Felixstowe.

Search and rescue operation off the coast of Felixstowe.

Sarah Lucy brown

The UK Border Agency has refused to comment on the fate of two men, believed to be illegal immigrants, who are reported to have gone overboard from a passenger ferry just off the coast of Harwich.

The men who were said to have jumped from the ferry, sparking a major air-sea search and rescue operation off the Suffolk coast, have still not been found. Mystery surrounds the disappearance of the men, who were believed to be being deported, and a thorough search took place of the Stena Britannica when it arrived at the Hook of Holland.

However Border Agency officials are refusing to comment on the incident until the situation had been clarified.

Thames Coastguard received a call just before 10am on Wednesday from a passenger on the vessel, which had left Harwich shortly beforehand, concerning reports that two men had gone overboard about one mile from Harwich Harbour.

Around 20 vessels and two helicopters – Suffolk Constabulary’s and the rescue helicopter from Wattisham Airfield – were sent to the scene off Felixstowe.

Three RNLI lifeboats – two from Harwich and one from Walton – along with tugs, a pilot cutter, and fishing boats took part. The Stena Britannica also searched the area, making about four turns around the bay.

Shipping in the wider area was also asked to keep a look-out.

On the shore, land-based Coastguard rescue units from Felixstowe and Shingle Street searched the coastline between Old Felixstowe and Landguard, and the banks of the River Orwell and Deben estuaries.

A Coastguard spokeswoman said search and rescue plotting was used with teams searching the exact location where the men were reported to have gone overboard, taking account of tide patterns and speeds, to pinpoint where they would be in the water, and then fanning out to cover a wider area.

She said: “After three hours the search mission co-ordinator decided the area had been thoroughly searched and saturated with units and the decision was taken to stand down until any new information was received.

“Investigations are ongoing with the police and the ferry company to determine exactly what happened. The circumstances as far as we are concerned were that there were two people in the water and a search was launched but we found nothing at all.”

The Border Agency refused to comment until the details of the incident had been clarified and the identities established of the two people involved.

A spokesman could not say if the deported men would have been accompanied on the ship by Border Agency officials.

The Stena Britannica, which has 92 passengers and 81 crew onboard, was released at lunchtime to resume its North Sea crossing.

A spokesman for Stena Line said: “The two passengers are believed to have jumped overboard at approximately 9.45am.

“The passengers were travelling on the Stena Britannica and the incident occurred off the coast of Felixstowe.

“Stena Line cannot yet confirm the identity of the two passengers.”

3 comments

  • A spokesman could not say if the deported men would have been accompanied on the ship by Border Agency officials!!!! Why not say as surely they wern't just put on a ferry and told to go home were they?

    Report this comment

    royg

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

  • Could the "witness" who saw the two jump be another of the deported men? Maybe the 2 missing men disappeared in the terminal building and their mates just threw a couple of jackets in the water and reported them missing 30 minutes later as a decoy. @Royg, it wouldn't be the first time that illegals were sent home alone remember the people found on a local road a few years ago who were given the train fare and told to report to immigration in Croydon.

    Report this comment

    Dopey Donkey

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

  • Love the headline GOOD i for one am glad they didnt find them.. send some more back and try throwing them in instead..

    Report this comment

    Mr cynical

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

(left to right) Acting Chief Superintendent Kim Warner of Suffolk Police speaks alongside mother of missing 23-year-old Corrie McKeague, Nicola Urquhart and his brothers Darroch and Makeyan McKeague, during a press conference  at Bury St Edmunds Police Station in Suffolk, as police are investigating the disappearance of the RAF serviceman, who has been missing for more than a week amid fears he may have been kidnapped. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday October 3, 2016. See PA story POLICE McKeague. Photo credit should read: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

The police hunt for missing RAF gunner Corrie McKeague has been labelled “incompetent” by his mother, as an online campaign has raised more than £20,000 to hire a private investigator.

Burglary stock image

A 77-year-old widow has told of the hurt and pain she has suffered after necklaces given to her by her husband were stolen from her home by the suspected gang of prolific burglars.

Orwell Bridge

A vehicle has broken down on the Orwell Bridge this morning and is causing traffic to queue on the eastbound carriageway.

Left to right. Top row: Nurse Lyn Wishart; Anna Stollery, donor engagement officer with The Ipswich Hospital Charity; and Kev and Ruth Ellis.
Bottom row: Kev Chambers holding Skye and Kathryn holding Lylia; with Kathryn Sheila Gauld, ward sister.

A couple have thanked Ipswich Hospital for the care staff gave their premature twin nieces by ditching their wedding gift list and asking for donations for the neonatal unit instead.

The scene outside Zest after Jimoh Plunkett's murder. 
Picture by Jerry Turner

Amid the maelstrom created by the Steve Wright murders in 2006 London gang violence erupted at a town nightclub and claimed the life of a young man.

A judge has said

A judge has warned of the dangers of “vulnerable and impressionable” people watching films or playing video games depicting gang violence and rape after sentencing a Colchester man who planned to tie up a woman and have sex with her after playing Grand Theft Auto.

File picture of Essex Police officers carrying out a drug warrant.

Drug paraphernalia and plant growing equipment were seized from a house in Essex.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24