Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Heating engineer cleared of manslaughter

10:59 10 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer accused of killing a customer by failing to properly service their boiler has been cleared of manslaughter.

shares

Peter Sykes, 68, was found guilty on Tuesday of health and safety failings relating to work he carried out for Annette Coe, 72, who later died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yesterday, following three days of deliberation, the jury at Norwich Crown Court found him not guilty of the more serious charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Mrs Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her property in St Edmunds Road, Ipswich, on December 5, 2012 – 47 days after Sykes last serviced her oil-fired heating system. She was pronounced dead the following day.

William Carter, for the prosecution, had argued that Sykes’ failure to clear the flue during an annual inspection on October 19, 2012, caused a blockage, which resulted in “poisonous gas circulating around her home at fatal levels”.

“The defendant’s failure was grossly negligent to the extent, the crown alleges, that his actions amount to the criminal offence of manslaughter,” he said.

Two of Mrs Coe’s daughters, Sarah Licence and Bridget Coe, had raised the alarm on the evening of December 5, the court heard.

They became concerned after their mother, who lived alone, failed to answer the phone, and contacted William Coe, their brother, who arrived at the property at around 11pm.

He entered to find his mother lying unconscious on the floor and attempted resuscitation before paramedics took her to hospital.

Doctors described the level of carbon monoxide as “extremely high” and said nothing could be done. She died on December 6.

Sykes, of Castle Road, Hadleigh, insisted he had carried out a proper service in October and claimed it was also clean and operational when he returned on December 3 to fit a replacement solenoid coil.

The self-employed heating engineer, who had been servicing Mrs Coe’s boiler for more than 40 years, maintained that a sudden fracture with the heat exchanger – where fresh air meets heated air – had led to the blockage.

He said he followed a methodical routine from which he never deviated and would always check the flue and chimney for blockages.

“That would be the most important thing,” he said.

“It’s a case of life and I value life a lot more than just skipping and skiving on a routine.”

The jury, however, found him guilty under the Health and Safety at Work Act Section 3 (2) for failing to undertake his duty in such a way as to prevent exposing Mrs Coe to risks to her health and safety.

Sykes was also found guilty under the same act in respect to boiler inspections he carried out at Melvyn Smith’s property in Raydon and Mary Blyton’s gas heating system in Woodbridge.

He will return to court for sentencing at a later date.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

The car is rescued from the pond - photo courtesy of iwitness Jane Davis

A driver was left stranded on top of an upturned car in the middle of a pond after the vehicle left a country road in the early hours of this morning.

Man arrested following drug related death

Police have made an arrest following the sudden death of a man from a suspected drug overdose.

Police officers suspended from duty. Library image.

Five officers and one special constable are currently suspended from duty at Essex Police.

Breast cancer survivor Nichola Whymark and brother Alastair Wright are running the London Marathon.

A cancer survivor is taking on a marathon just 11 months after having a double mastectomy.

An impression of the new Moreton Hall secondary school.

Community leaders have made key decisions this week to drive forward a project involving a new school, sports facilities, homes, road and business park in Bury St Edmunds.

British Summer Time begins this Sunday (March 29) when the clocks go forwards by an hour and the nights will be noticeably lighter.

The East of England Air Ambulance was called to Shenstone Drive after a woman in her 60s became seriously ill

A woman has been taken to hospital in a critical condition after falling ill in Ipswich.

Acton Primary School kids have designed boards for an easter trail around the village to raise funds. Left to right, Billy Purser and Lilly Elms.

Youngsters are being invited to follow a special Easter trail around their west Suffolk village to help raise funds for new play equipment at the local school.

Cancer survival rates for those living in west Suffolk are the best in the East of England, new figures reveal.

Health minister and Suffolk MP Dan Poulter last night labelled the move a step in the right direction, saying it will hugely benefit patients.

Evening and weekend GP services could return to Suffolk as early as this summer, it can be revealed today, but a reduction in the anticipated funding means just one centre will initially open to patients.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages