Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 1°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Man faces jail over historic sex abuse charges

17:00 17 December 2012

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court

Archant

A 68-YEAR-old Suffolk man is due to be sentenced this month after admitting six child sex offences dating back 36 years

Michael Hazelwood, of Bromelands, Brome, near Eye, admitted the charges when he appeared before Ipswich Crown Court for his plea hearing.

Hazelwood, who previously lived near Capel St Mary, pleaded guilty to indecent assault on a girl in the 1970s.

He also pleaded guilty to five counts of gross indecency with a girl under 14 years of age.

One offence is said to have taken place in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Police arrested and interviewed Hazelwood about the allegations on September 23, 2011.

He was then bailed, pending further inquiries.

After a nine-month investigation, Hazelwood answered his bail at the police investigation centre in Bury St Edmunds where he was charged on June 13 this year.

He was then rebailed to appear before West Suffolk Magistrates’ Court for the first hearing of his case on July 2.

The case was then committed to Ipswich Crown Court where Hazelwood entered his pleas.

He was released on bail for the compilation of a pre-sentence report.

Hazelwood’s sentencing is due to take place before the same court on December 21.

Meanwhile in another case involving historic child sex abuse, retired priest Father John Haley Dossor is scheduled to be sentenced today at Norwich Crown Court.

He was previously due to be sentenced last month.

However, the case was adjourned for administrative reasons.

Dossor, of Kirton, near Felixstowe, abused two males, who were aged between 13 and 17, during assaults dating back 20 years, when he was based at St Mary’s Church in Hadleigh.

After leaving the parish of Hadleigh, Shelley, and Layham in 2001, Dossor became one of Ipswich’s most prominent clergymen when he moved to St Mary at the Elms, in the town’s Elm Street.

He officially retired as priest-in-charge in January 2007.

The 71-year-old’s guilty pleas to six indecent assaults were accepted by the prosecution at a hearing before Ipswich Crown Court in October.

The High Church Anglican priest denied a further eight indecent assaults – one of which was allegedly on a third male, and another charge of sexual assault by touching.

These will not be pursued, but will stay on file.

0 comments

The We Love Bury St Edmunds supporters photo bomb the statue of St Edmund celebrating over a year since the group was born - founder James Sheen

Andy Abbott reports on how Facebook group “We Love Bury St Edmunds” has brought thousands of people together from across the globe.

Ex Royal Air Force Serviceman Richard Philpotts, of Stowmarket, Suffolk was sentenced on 16 January 2017 to three years’ imprisonment following conviction in relation to a single victim of one offence of indecent assault on a child below the age of 14, committed between 1986 and 1987.

A former RAF corporal and scout master has been jailed at a court martial for three years for the sexual abuse of a boy scout more than 30 years ago in Germany.

Prime Minister Theresa May speaks during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday January 18, 2017. See PA story POLITICS PMQs May. Photo credit should read: PA Wire

People must take flood warnings seriously, the Prime Minister has said after the region was put on high alert over a tidal surge last week.

A120 at Marks Tey

A potential new dualled A120 route between Braintree and Marks Tey will cost between £475million and £825m, it was announced yesterday.

Campaigner Jill Reece on the barrow crossing at Halesworth Station.

Work will be carried out next week to install gates at a station crossing on the east Suffolk rail line after campaigners fought off moves to close it.

The launch of the trial at Sudbury fire station

Lives have been saved as a result of a pilot scheme which has seen cardiac arrest emergencies in parts of the county dealt with by firefighters.

Before and after shots of the Balkerne Bridge in Colchester

An iconic bridge in Colchester has been removed temporarily while Essex County Council work to widen it.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24