Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 14°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Suffolk: Motorist was five times drink-drive limit as he drove towards police car

12:46 21 February 2014

Drink-driver banned

Drink-driver banned

A west Suffolk motorist who was nearly five times the drink-drive limit as he drove towards a police car on the wrong side of the road has been spared prison.

Andrew Meyers, of Lavender Close, Brandon, was disqualified from driving for 36 months by Bury St Edmunds magistrates.

The 44-year-old had admitted driving when above the legal alcohol limit.

Meyers was caught when his Ford 4x4 was seen travelling towards the police car, although the two vehicles did not collide.

The incident occurred at around 12.30am on December 21.

When the officer pulled Meyer’s vehicle over, he was arrested for drink-driving.

A subsequent breath test showed he had 177 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Meyers pleaded guilty at a hearing on January 24 and his case was adjourned for a pre-sentencing report.

He was given a term of 18 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months.

Meyers was also ordered to pay £80 to the victims’ fund and prosecution costs of £85.

6 comments

  • Pathetic sentence which is no deterrent to others ! Until there is a proper deterrent we will continue to have death on our roads caused by drink drivers and similar cases like this ! How long has the supposed deterrent been there and has made no difference whatsoever ?

    Report this comment

    Poppys Dad

    Friday, February 21, 2014

  • So effectively he has been banned for 3 years and £185 out of pocket. I am sure other drink drivers with lower readings have been punished more heavily.

    Report this comment

    The original Victor Meldrew

    Friday, February 21, 2014

  • now now girls.

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Friday, February 21, 2014

  • Mr cynical- a typing error on the i pad keyboard. Ps. He was not fined, he has to pay £80 to the victims fund and prosecution costs of £85 , hence I used the words, out of pocket.

    Report this comment

    The original Victor Meldrew

    Friday, February 21, 2014

  • Had this man killed someone whilst being five times over the limit I'm sure his sentence would have been far less lenient, but that would have meant someone's life had been lost and a family totally devastated - for ever. Should have been banned for life and put him inside for 36 months.

    Report this comment

    Our Man in the East

    Friday, February 21, 2014

  • No he was fined a total of £165 (80+85=165) NOT 185 Surprised you worked out 36months was three years maybe mummy helped you

    Report this comment

    Mr cynical

    Friday, February 21, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Ben Wragge

Two teenagers arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following the death of a 13-year-old boy in Thurston will face no further action, police have said.

Picture: Ian Burt

A seven-year-old girl who was reported as missing in Great Cornard just after 4pm today has been found safe and well.

Police Officers. Picture: James Bass.

An incident involving a loose dog in Carlton Colville left a ten-year-old boy with a puncture wound, police said last night.

The Ipswich Foyer in Star Lane.

Thousands of people have signed a petition in protest against the proposed closure of a supported housing scheme in Ipswich.

The Buttermarket complex is being transformed and will house a gym, restaurants and a multi-screen cinema - Janice Poulson

The Buttermarket Centre in Ipswich is currently being converted to include a 12-screen cinema and chain restaurants including Wagamama, writes David Kindred.

The A12 as it approaches the Copdock roundabout.

Drivers experienced long delays after three cars crashed on the A12 northbound near the Copdock roundabout this evening.

Liz Ayling is urging parents to donate PE kit and old uniform from middle schools to charity. Liz is pictured with Joseph (12) and Daniel (8) in Bury St Edmunds.

Parents of children at the four Bury St Edmunds middle schools which closed down last week are being urged to donate any spare PE kit they have to charity.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24