max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Passenger satisfaction levels increase but Greater Anglia still among country’s worst rail companies

10:41 29 January 2013

Satisfaction levels in Greater Anglia has risen by 10% in less than a year.

Satisfaction levels in Greater Anglia has risen by 10% in less than a year.


RAIL passengers in East Anglia have dramatically increased their confidence in the service provided by Greater Anglia, according to new figures released by the official rail watchdog.


Passenger Focus published its official National Passenger Survey (NPS) which revealed that 83% of travellers in the Greater Anglia region were satisfied with the rail service in the final months of last year.

In stark contrast, travellers were the least satisfied in the country in March 2012 when satisfaction levels fell to 73%.

But today’s findings shows Greater Anglia is the most improved service in terms of overall satisfaction since then, with a 10% increase more than double the improvement of any other train company in the last 10 months.

Only 4% of the 2,120 people surveyed between the start of September and the middle of November in 2012 said they were either dissatisfied with the service or labelled it poor.

However, only 37% of passengers said they were getting value for money – the joint-worst in the country – with 42% claiming it was poor or unsatisfactory.

And despite the improvement in customer service levels, Greater Anglia still ranks as the joint fourth-worst service out of the 23 national rail companies compiled, with 85% the national average.

Passenger Focus chief executive, Anthony Smith, said: “Passengers are saying the quality of rail services is improving.

“The combination of increased income from fares, government investment and a clearer focus on performance and dealing with disruption is beginning to pay off.”

What do you think? Are you satisfied with Greater Anglia’s performance? Let me know your thoughts by emailing me at matthew.stott@archant.co.uk



  • GAs performance may be better than NXEA, but then they were appalling. It shouldnt detract from the fact that we are paying just about more than anyone else in the country for our rail travel. Why arent our MPs doing something about that (ah yes they're letting the chauffeur driven car take tha strain).

    Report this comment


    Tuesday, January 29, 2013

  • Don't you just love the trail of toilet paper "etc" that is shown in the photograph...

    Satisfaction levels in Greater Anglia has risen by 10% in less than a year.

    Report this comment

    John Alborough

    Tuesday, January 29, 2013

  • Glad I am one of the 17% the other 83% must have been drunk or deluded

    Report this comment


    Tuesday, January 29, 2013

  • government investment what government investment we have not had any on the east coast mainline. To be fair to Greater Anglia they are a great improvement on their predecessors, however good they are their static’s will never be good as they have to deal with old rolling stock, and ancient infrastructure that are continually breaking down.

    Report this comment

    A Smith

    Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Bad weather in Felixstowe.

Properties are at risk from flooding at Bawdsey Quay and Felixstowe Ferry, the Environment Agency has warned.

Former Ipswich Town manager Sir Bobby Robson

An online auction launched in memory of Ipswich Town and England legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than £160,000 for charity.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 67-year-old west Suffolk garage owner who sexually assaulted and raped three schoolgirls more than 25 years ago has been jailed for 19 years.

A parade of puppets, live bands, fireworks and a packed Angel Hill, Abbey Gardens and town centre - the annual Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre

Tens of thousands of people swarmed to west Suffolk this weekend for what organisers expect to have been a record breaking Christmas Fayre.

One crew from Leiston attended the incident

A chimney fire in Knodishall was extinguished by firefighters from Leison this afternoon.

Vicky Ellis

More than £3,500 will be presented to the Colchester hospital chemotherapy unit in memory of a woman who died of cervical cancer aged just 25.

Annual Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre

Organisers behind one of Suffolk’s largest annual events, Bury St Edmunds’ Christmas fayre, are hoping today’s drizzly weather won’t dampen spirits on the last day of the event.

Most read

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24