Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Police officer worked as driving instructor while signed off sick

13:35 14 November 2012

Eight police officers have resigned from Suffolk police pending gross misconduct investigations

Eight police officers have resigned from Suffolk police pending gross misconduct investigations

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2011

SUFFOLK: Eight Suffolk police officers have resigned in the last year prior to facing gross misconduct hearings, a shocking Ipswich Star investigation has revealed.


Among the list of offences for which serving police officers have been investigated include a police officer who worked as a driving instructor while off sick from the force, another caught with indecent images of children and a colleague awaiting a court appearance for possessing a firearm.

A Freedom of Information request by the Star has revealed that eight Suffolk police officers resigned in the last year prior to facing gross misconduct hearings – of those two are facing court proceedings against them.

Dating back to 2009/10, 16 officers have faced misconduct hearings and been found guilty.

Of those six were slapped with their final written warning while seven received a written warning. In the remaining cases management action was taken or advice given. The remaining five officers who resigned before their gross misconduct hearings were investigated for:

n criminal fraud

n domestic assault, ABH and theft of police property

n indecent assault on two women in a nightclub

n fraudulently obtaining cash from charity fundraising

n damaging police vehicles and conspiring to harass a member of the public

A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said officers are expected to deliver the “highest standards of personal and professional behaviour”.

“These standards reflect the expectations the public have of how officers should behave and it is always extremely disappointing and sad when officers leave due to misconduct allegations,” he said.

“All investigations undertaken by the Professional Standards Department are conducted in a proportionate manner and are conducted in a manner that protects the integrity of the force with all evidence carefully and objectively reviewed.

“Where an officer is suspected of committing a criminal offence the case is determined using the normal criminal justice processes with evidence presented to the Crown Prosecution Service to seek advice as to whether any further action would be appropriate.

“In cases of gross misconduct, and in cases where it is considered inappropriate for the employees involved in misconduct to remain in their normal place of work, consideration will be given to precautionary suspension, or redeployment elsewhere.”

n What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail



  • It seems that deciding someone is guilty and labeling them a perpetrator and passing it on to other agencies and not even telling the accused that they have been accused or what they are accused of doing is OK. And there is no way of putting the record straight.

    Report this comment

    old git

    Wednesday, November 14, 2012

  • What has happened to the Suffolk Force I once knew? In my 30 years we did have officers committing minor infringements and on very rare occasions a criminal offence. The answer is probably in the current politically correct recruitment policy of allowing entry of candidates with criminal convictions,poor vetting and non intuative interview boards working to a tick sheet. I suggest the new Commissioner makes this their first priority.

    Report this comment

    dinosaur detective

    Wednesday, November 14, 2012

  • I wonder if they run criminal checks on fireman and ambulance staff what that would reveal ? The Police are an easy target and any chance to have a pop people will.

    Report this comment

    the opinion man

    Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A parade of puppets, live bands, fireworks and a packed Angel Hill, Abbey Gardens and town centre - the annual Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre

Tens of thousands of people swarmed to west Suffolk this weekend for what organisers expect to have been a record breaking Christmas Fayre.

Bad weather in Felixstowe.

Properties are at risk from flooding at Bawdsey Quay and Felixstowe Ferry, the Environment Agency has warned.

Former Ipswich Town manager Sir Bobby Robson

Tonight sees the close of this year’s Sir Bobby Robson online auction which is predicted to raise more than £100,000 for charity.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 67-year-old west Suffolk garage owner who sexually assaulted and raped three schoolgirls more than 25 years ago has been jailed for 19 years.

One crew from Leiston attended the incident

A chimney fire in Knodishall was extinguished by firefighters from Leison this afternoon.

Vicky Ellis

More than £3,500 will be presented to the Colchester hospital chemotherapy unit in memory of a woman who died of cervical cancer aged just 25.

Annual Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre

Organisers behind one of Suffolk’s largest annual events, Bury St Edmunds’ Christmas fayre, are hoping today’s drizzly weather won’t dampen spirits on the last day of the event.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24