Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 27°C

min temp: 16°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Suffolk: Police receive Jimmy Savile abuse complaints

12:13 28 December 2012

Jimmy Savile

Jimmy Savile

SUFFOLK Constabulary has received at least three allegations of people being abused by Jimmy Savile, it has emerged.

shares

The accusations have all been passed on the Metropolitan Police, which is heading up a nationwide inquiry into the paedophile BBC presenter and disc jockey’s litany of sexual abuse on underage girls and women dating back more than 40 years.

Suffolk police never received any allegations against Savile while he was alive or before the current investigation – codenamed Operation Yewtree - began.

However, it has confirmed that in the first month of the inquiry it received three complaints relating to Savile, who died last year at the age of 84. The investigation began in October this year.

Details of any further accusations which may have been made in November or December were not available.

Eight people, including several high-profile names, have been arrested so far during the wide-ranging inquiry involving Savile and others.

A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Prior to the commencement of the Met investigation and to Jimmy Savile’s death, Suffolk Constabulary received no reports of abuse in relation to him.

“Since the start of the Met investigation (up to October 30), Suffolk Constabulary has received a total of three complaints/allegations in relation to Jimmy Savile, all of which were forwarded to Operation Yewtree.

“We would encourage anyone who wishes to raise concerns - no matter how historic - to come forward and contact the police.”

Two of the complaints were received between October 24 and October 30, according to police.

By mid-December the Metropolitan Police said 31 allegations of rape had been made against Savile.

A total of 589 people had come forward with information relating to the scandal, with 450 complaints against the BBC presenter and DJ himself, mainly alleging sexual abuse, Scotland Yard said.

Ten weeks after the launch of Operation Yewtree, police had recorded 199 crimes in 17 force areas in which Savile is a suspect, with 31 allegations of rape recorded against him in seven force areas.

Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry - claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.

Operation Yewtree has 30 officers and has cost around £2m to date.

Police and the NSPCC are compiling a report, which they hope to publish in the new year, to provide an overview of Savile’s activities.

Other inquiries being carried out into Savile’s behaviour, besides Operation Yewtree, include the director of public prosecutions’ review into the decision not to prosecute Savile in 2009

The NSPCC is also launching a campaign in a bid to prevent people thinking sexual abuse is a problem from the past following the Savile disclosures.

The charity is worried that, due to many of Savile’s victims being abused in the 1970s and 80s, people may believe sexual abuse is not as common now as it was then.

shares

0 comments

The coffin of Stuart Cullen is carried from the RAF C-17 at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

The body of Suffolk man Stuart Cullen, one of 38 people killed in the Tunisian terror attack, has been returned to Britain today.

The incident happened on the A12

A lane on the A12 at the Foxhall roundabout near Martlesham was blocked following a three-vehicle crash.

Bolts of lightning during the storms above Ipswich in the early hours of Saturday, pictured by Tina Boniface

Fierce lightning storms swept over Suffolk and Essex last night.

John McGuire

A 25-year-old man who went missing from a mental health unit in Colchester has been found safe and well.

A broken down train has blocked the Marks Tey to Sudbury route

A broken down train has forced services between Sudbury and Marks Tey to be suspended – with delays expected for the rest of the day.

National Lottery winners pictured helping out on a build at Black Notley Community Association in Braintree, Essex. Pictured are the team working hard in the sunshine to complete the job.

Lottery winners with a combined worth of £25million mucked in to help create a holiday haven in Black Notley.

Suffolk county councillor Lisa Chambers

More than 90% of parents in Suffolk have had their first-choice places accepted for their children starting school this September, it has been revealed.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Train services have returned to normal between Ipswich and Felixstowe this evening following problems caused by a broken down train.

Actor, Dudley Sutton, who plays William Makepeace in Emmerdale and was Tinker in Lovejoy, will be exhibiting his art work at the Aldeburgh Beach Lookout.

Perhaps best known for his long and distinguished acting career, Dudley Sutton harbours myriad other talents – some of which are displayed on the coast today.

The police helicopter was deployed to help the search.

Police have urged the public not to approach a man who has been missing from a mental health hospital since Friday evening.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages