August 22 2014 Latest news:
By Craig Robinson
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
IT is the site of one of the world’s greatest archaeological finds of all time.
Now visitors to Sutton Hoo, near Woodbridge, will be able to enjoy a view that has not been seen for nearly half a century.
UK Power Networks are today expected to complete a £200,000 project to remove overhead electricity lines from the historic site.
Engineers have already installed 1.5km of underground cable, which went “live” earlier this week.
Work to remove the overhead power lines started yesterday and should be complete by the end of today.
The world-famous site, which is managed by the National Trust and sits within the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), consists of a group of Anglo-Saxon burial mounds.
The four-week project to remove the power lines, which have been in place for 40 years, means there will now be uninterrupted views of the landscape down to the River Deben.
Bosses hope putting the cables underground will also improve the reliability of the service as they will no longer be susceptible to the elements.
Shaun Barrell, UK Power Networks’ protected areas and major projects officer, said: “The work is part of a wider scheme funded by (industry regulator) Ofgem to enhance Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and national parks.
“Sutton Hoo was put forward by the National Trust and Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB as one they would like to see done. The landscape is of national significance and represents one of the best known sites in Suffolk.
“We are pleased to be playing our part in enhancing this beautiful landscape for the thousands of people who visit the area each year.”
Mr Barrell added: “The replacement underground network has already been installed and made live. The only disruption has been very minimal when we switched over to the new network.”
Martin Atkinson, the National Trust’s property manager for Sutton Hoo, said: “Removing the power lines from the view and putting them underground will keep this stunning setting looking as timeless as possible and help people connect with the long lost Anglo-Saxon past.”
Around £5.6million is being spent to remove overhead power cables in the east of England, with 30 projects set to be complete by 2015.