Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Thurston: Calling all former pupils of Ixworth, Beyton and Blackbourne Middle Schools - share your school memories

PUBLISHED: 12:00 10 July 2014

Beyton Middle School production of  Pinocchio  in April  1983

Beyton Middle School production of Pinocchio in April 1983

Three middle schools in the Thurston area which are closing at the end of the summer term are marking the end of an era with a host of events.

Ixworth Middle School, Blackbourne Middle School in Stanton and Beyton Middle School will soon be shutting their doors to pupils for the final time.

They are closing as part of the educational restructure which has seen a move from three-tier to two-tier schooling.

Pupils and staff at Ixworth Middle – which opened in 1957 – are celebrating the past and present successes of their school by presenting a “dynamic and imaginative” version of the Wizard of Oz, which they performed yesterday and is also on today.

Jacqueline Rozier, deputy headteacher and director of the show, said: “This is our way of showing just what we have always been about: achieving excellence through nurturing talent.”

Headteacher Glenice Francis said pupils were positive about moving on to their new schools, but from the staff perspective there would be an element of sadness.

“We have been such a great team here for a very long time,” she said.

At Blackbourne Middle – which opened in 1975 – there will be a final celebration on July 19 from noon to 3pm on the school field for all students, staff and parents past and present, including a bouncy castle, stalls and beer tent.

And at Beyton Middle there will be a special event – yet to be revealed to pupils – on the last day of term, July 22, and a range of activities are taking place to give students the chance to say goodbye.

Are you a former pupil or staff member of one of the three middle schools? We’d like you to send us your memories and any old pictures of the schools. You can also email mariam.ghaemi@archant.co.uk or call 01284 727410.

A 50-year-old man from Cambridgeshire who was arrested after a fatal crash on the A140 on Tuesday will appear in court tomorrow to face dangerous driving charges.

Emergency services including firefighters, police and paramedics are at the scene of a serious crash in Lowestoft.

An Essex father who threw a corrosive liquid at a teenager outside a popular restaurant in Walton-on-the-Naze will now face years behind bars.

A jealous Suffolk man who fired a BB gun at a car after finding text messages from the vehicle’s owner on his partner’s phone has been jailed for ten months.

A group of men from London are facing drugs charges and money laundering offences after a police chase on the A14 at the weekend.

A former geography teacher from Essex says that schoolchildren should be taught more about what to do if a natural disaster occurs after getting caught up in the earthquake which hit Kos last week.

Drivers heading home from work in west Suffolk this evening could face long delays on the A11 after a lorry tipped over on the southbound carriageway near Barton Mills.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24