Tumble dryer safety advice given by firefighters after Stanway blaze
PUBLISHED: 22:19 25 January 2016 | UPDATED: 22:19 25 January 2016
Tumble dryer safety advice has been issued to Essex residents after firefighters tackled a blaze.
An electrical fault in a tumble dryer caused a fire at a property in Cornflower Close, Stanway at around 6.20pm on Monday.
Two fire engines attended and crews used a hose reel jet to put out the fire within 10 minutes. There were no reported injuries.
After the blaze, a spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service issued the following advice:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended;
- Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff;
- Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling;
- Don’t overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.
The fire brigade spokesman added: “Additionally, you can also register your domestic appliances for free.
“If you did not register your appliances during Register My Appliance Day on Thursday, January 21, take just a few minutes to visit www.registermyappliance.org.uk.
“A specialist will contact you in case of any safety repairs or product recalls on your appliances.”