Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

UK: Max Clifford jailed for eight years

14:35 02 May 2014

Max Clifford, 71, was jailed for eight years at Southwark Crown Court  today after being convicted of eight counts of indecent assault.

Max Clifford, 71, was jailed for eight years at Southwark Crown Court today after being convicted of eight counts of indecent assault.

Disgraced PR guru Max Clifford has been jailed for eight years for a string of indecent assaults on four women.

shares

The 71-year-old finally fell from grace after decades influencing the media when he was convicted of eight counts of the crime, carried out between 1977 and 1984, on Monday.

Passing sentence at Southwark Crown Court today, Judge Anthony Leonard told him: “These offences may have taken place a long time ago, when inappropriate and trivial sexual behaviour was more likely to be tolerated, but your offending was not trivial, but of a very serious nature.”

The judge said that due to the age of the offences that occurred between 1977 and 1984, Clifford was charged under an act from 1956, which set the maximum term at two years.

Under later legislation passed in 2003, the maximum term would have been 10 years, and for the worst instances would have been charged as rape or assault by penetration, which attract a maximum life term, the court heard.

Clifford repeatedly shook his head as the judge made his comments to a packed courtroom.

Judge Leonard added that he thought Clifford’s personality and position in the public eye were why the crimes had not been made public sooner.

He said: “The reason why they were not brought to light sooner was because of your own dominant character and your position in the world of entertainment which meant that your victims thought that you were untouchable, something that I think you too believed.”

Clifford, who branded his accusers “fantasists”, remained defiant ahead of his sentencing, saying: “I stand by everything I have said in the last 17 months.”

A string of his clients have moved to distance themselves from the veteran agent in the wake of his conviction, the first under the sex crime inquiry Operation Yewtree.

Some of Clifford’s supporters, sitting behind the dock in the public gallery, broke down in tears as he was sentenced.

Describing his extensive charitable work, the judge said: “Although your charitable work has gone on for a long time after your offending stopped, I cannot ignore that for decades you were leading a double existence.”

shares

1 comment

  • Every now and then there's a bit of news that makes me happy. Today it happened.

    Report this comment

    beerlover

    Friday, May 2, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Police helicopter used in search after stabbings in Leiston

A police inquiry is under way today after a 16-year-old boy and a man were stabbed in Leiston last night.

Cavendish.

“True democracy” is coming to a west Suffolk parish after 42 years, with villagers set to decide the Cavendish ward’s first ever contested St Edmundsbury Borough election.

Opening of last year's Alde Valley Spring Festival at Alde Valley Farm, Great Glemham

A seasonal celebration showcasing the work of artists, designers and food producers gets under way on a Suffolk farm this weekend.

Shaun Webber

Prison officials were left embarrassed when the sentencing of a man who stabbed his brother had to be postponed because the wrong prisoner was brought to Ipswich Crown Court.

Suffolk Show 2011 - Day 1 - Wednesday 1st June

Celia Munnings-Tomes has a go at some Judo with instructor Keith Jones in the Sports Village

Suffolk Show’s inspirational Sport Village is set to be offering a chance to try out around 30 different activities this year as the county tackles widespread adult inertia.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Rail services between Ipswich and Needham Market are currently delayed after a horse box got stuck under a railway bridge.

Damage to Eye Castle

A Suffolk authority has spoke of its disappointment after part of a castle it owned was damaged.

Sarah Bartram, accompanied by residents from the Fornhams and Great Barton, delivers petitions with over 700 signatures against the waste site proposals.

Campaigners have delivered petitions with more than 700 signatures in opposition to plans for a waste site on the outskirts of Bury St Edmunds.

Christine Pilsworth and Karen Edwards are celebrating the 21st anniversary of the Tourist Information Centre being in St Stephen's Church, in Ipswich.

It has won numerous awards, helped people even after they have left the town and fielded some quite bizarre suggestions.

Second from left, Cllr Paul Hopfensperger and football coach Mark Stiff with rubbish collected from the Oakes Road field.

A new fenced-off area is planned to be installed around a football pitch in Bury St Edmunds to prevent dog mess following discussions with the local community.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages