Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 1°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Update: Investigation continues into fire in Kentford which left one person dead

15:50 09 February 2013

Firefighters tackle a blaze just off Bury Road in Kentford.

Firefighters tackle a blaze just off Bury Road in Kentford.

Archant

A HOUSE in Kentford remains cordoned off today following a blaze in which one person died.

Police said a body was found in the house in Gazeley Road, Kentford, near Newmarket, following the fire, which was reported at about 9am yesterday.

The body was found later in the day when firefighters were able to enter the property. The death is currently being treated as unexplained and a post-mortem examination is due to take place today.

A man in his 60s was also taken to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds suffering from smoke inhalation.

Road closures and diversions remained in place overnight and the cordon was placed around the property while the fire service and police try to establish the cause of the fire.

Ali Moseley, incident commander for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said about 55 firefighters tackled the blaze.

The first crews “very quickly identified there was a significant fire” and required further assistance. Six appliances from Suffolk and Cambridgeshire attended as well as a command and control vehicle and an aerial appliance.

Mr Moseley said the fire involved a large area of the building. “It was spreading through the roof as well and what we have managed to do is prevent that spread. We have saved a lot of the building’s structure at this point, but the end part of the building was completely lost.”

Mr Moseley said the fire was extinguished yesterday afternoon, but firefighters were damping down and checking for hot spots.

None of the neighbouring properties had to be evacuated.

Police would like anyone who was in the area to call them on 101.

0 comments

Ed Sheeran. Credit: Greg Williams

Ed Sheeran may soon be performing live on stage once more – hot on the heels of his latest album’s release.

The fire was caused by the sun's reflection in a bedroom mirror. Picture: Richard Wisbey.

An Essex couple have been left homeless after their house caught fire as a result of the sun’s reflection in a mirror.

Bridget Muttock and manager Alison Fallowfield, seated, with some of the home’s other long serving staff.

Carer Bridget Muttock has some heartfelt advice for anyone contemplating retirement in their 60s – don’t do it.

The Red Lion Hotel, High Street, Colchester, Essex.

A well-known hotel in the heart of Colchester has joined a range of other outlets in the town to be given just one star for food hygiene.

Colchester GV: High Street/East Hill bus lane

Campaigners are launching a bid to scrap a bus lane which they claim is forcing drivers to make dangerous U-turns at the bottom of Colchester High Street.

The George Inn, Wickham Market

The owner of a fire-damaged Suffolk pub has expressed his willingness to sell the historic building to a community group wishing to take it on.

The sunrise over Borley Green. Picture: Pamela Bidwell

The morning skies have been putting on a striking show of colour and light over Suffolk this week.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24