Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 3°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Walberswick: Olive branch extended over information row

08:00 10 January 2013

Walberswick

Walberswick

Archant

A VILLAGE dispute may have taken a step towards resolution following a proposal by caretaker parish councillors.

shares

Interim members of Walberswick Parish Council – brought in after the previous administration quit – decided to draft an apology to residents who have complained over being shut out of past proceedings.

The move follows three years of disagreement with a number of villagers over procedural conduct and correspondence – culminating last October in the mass resignation of the parish council.

Since then, four new acting members have been drafted in, and this week voted to reconcile with the blackballed complainants.

Resident John McCarthy’s dispute with the council began in May 2011 following his complaint that insufficient notice was given of a public meeting. He will receive a personal letter of apology for subsequently being handed an exclusion notice, restricting his access to proceedings.

Mr McCarthy, whose requests for information were deemed vexatious by the parish council, said: “The motion included that the parish council had wrongfully excluded me, that it carried on excluding me when told it should not, that the internal review it undertook was flawed, and that publicising my name was inappropriate.

“This is a good first step, but the parish council, in my view, will have to start behaving properly.

“There are a number of outstanding freedom of information requests that need to be addressed.

“I will need to see the apology. I am incensed at the way I feel I have been treated.”

The proposed apology was voted against by one councillor, former chairman, David Webb, who was among the five to step down in October but returned as the only candidate to fill a seat previously left vacant by his late brother.

Mr Webb said his vote was based on the wording of the apology but expressed “sincere hope” that the dispute could now be resolved. He added: “When I resigned, I read out an apology I had intended to make. I think apologies are a two way thing.”

The council has been reviewing the delegation of correspondence and will seek to reinstate an elected parish council as soon as possible.

shares

0 comments

Bury St Edmunds Magistrates Court

Campaigners who fought to save two Suffolk magistrates courts voiced their disappointment last night as it was confirmed the centres will be closed.

Colchester General Hospital

More than a quarter of cancer patients at an Essex hospital had to wait over two months for treatment at the end of last year.

Gas holder demolition on Tayfen Road, Bury St Edmunds.

A developer has been hotly criticised for proposing a mere 10% of homes to be affordable at a major Bury St Edmunds housing site.

Poilce investigation work at the scene of the accident on the A12 at Martlesham Heath.

A toddler was in a critical condition in hospital last night following a two-vehicle collision on the A12 in Suffolk.

Staff at Dance East celebrate being awarded £750,000.

Ipswich has re-asserted its place as a major cultural centre today after the Arts Council awarded the town a further three-quarters of a million pounds to bring two of its leading arts venues bang up to date.

The BT apprenticeship showcase evening

More than 200 students, parents and teachers gathered at BT Adastral Park in Martlesham for the company’s apprenticeship showcase on Wednesday.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire in Needham Market

The blaze is believed to have been in a storage unit

Most read

Fred Olsen Travel Sale

cover

Click here to view
the Fred Olsen
Travel Sale

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24