PET owners have been warned to exercise caution after a dog fell ill when it ate a non-hazardous foam that appeared along the Suffolk coast.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The waste product has been found on beaches in Lowestoft and Southwold over recent days.

It has been tested by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) and has been identified as a bi-product of cooking oil which may have been released by a vessel.

A spokesman for Waveney District Council said so far a dog has been sick having eaten some of the foam and all owners are advised to keep their pets away from the substance.

It is not hazardous, nor an irritant, but could cause some mild, temporary discomfort to animals if ingested in large quantities, he added.

“Currently the matter is being investigated by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s Counter Pollution and Salvage Branch in Southampton and our operational partners Waveney Norse are cleaning the beaches,” the spokesman said. “We will advise of any change to the situation and colleagues in Suffolk Coastal have been made aware, should further materials appear on their beaches.”

0 comments

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT