One of the West Suffolk Hospital wards closed after an outbreak of the norovirus is expected to re-open today.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Both G5 and G3 wards were closed on Wednesday after the hospital said 21 patients had shown symptoms of the highly contagious diarrhoea and vomiting bug.

Today a spokeswoman said although there are still five affected patients on G3 and a further three in a closed bay on G8, G5 was set to reopen. She added that the situation was being monitored regularly and could change throughout the day.

Nichole Day, executive chief nurse at West Suffolk Hospital, said: “Norovirus is very infectious and every year there are cases in the community which transfer to the hospital. Because the virus has an incubation period of several days, people are often unaware that they are carrying it until after they have passed it on.

“We would advise anyone who has had diarrhoea or vomiting to stay away from the hospital for at least 72 hours after they have recovered, even if they feel better. Otherwise they run the risk of unknowingly passing the highly contagious illness on.”

2 comments

  • would like to know the exact time this ward "reopened" supposedly being safe- as my poor elderly relative was transferred to here in middle of last night he is very susceptable to infections already struggling to breathe or move and the things we have seen so far on this ward are disgusting in fact the way he has been dealt with since admission is beyond belief- and now guess what another outbreak ,and theyve shut the place again am very very unhappy, people should clearly have not been admitted in the brief 40 hr? window as it was not fit and certainly not clean enough for it people are supposed to get better not made ill and given more complications disgusted as am sure many other relatives.

    Report this comment

    pibley

    Sunday, March 2, 2014

  • would like to know the exact time this ward "reopened" supposedly being safe- as my poor elderly relative was transferred to here in middle of last night he is very susceptable to infections already struggling to breathe or move and the things we have seen so far on this ward are disgusting in fact the way he has been dealt with since admission is beyond belief- and now guess what another outbreak ,and theyve shut the place again am very very unhappy, people should clearly have not been admitted in the brief 40 hr? window as it was not fit and certainly not clean enough for it people are supposed to get better not made ill and given more complications disgusted as am sure many other relatives.

    Report this comment

    pibley

    Sunday, March 2, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT