Wickham Market: Highways recommends refusal of housing neighbours said would cause traffic ‘bedlam’

Wickham Market Wickham Market

Andrew Hirst andrew.hirst@archant.co.uk
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
10:01 AM

Highways officers have recommended the refusal of controversial Suffolk housing plans, which neighbours said would cause “bedlam”.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The proposals for a pair of two-storey properties at the rear of Hasnip’s cycle store in Wickham Market High Street would require access along a lane of “substandard width” measuring just 8ft 4ins across.

Suffolk County Council’s highways response to the application highlighted the poor visibility for traffic leaving the lane and likely congestion caused by vehicles queuing in the High Street to gain access.

The officer’s report said the application should be refused as it “will exacerbate the use of an existing access of substandard width”.

News of the recommendation has been welcomed by Wickham Market Parish Council, which had already objected to the plans after presiding over a public meeting, in which strong opposition was voiced by nearby residents.

Parish chairman Dick Jenkinson said the application “has received significant public interest and Suffolk Coastal District Council has received quite a few letters of extreme concern about the development”.

Public speakers at the meeting said it would cause “absolute turmoil” and warned of “bedlam” if the development was approved. Parish clerk Jo Jones’ letter recommending refusal warned the access during and after construction would be “completely inadequate”.

“Several residents close to the proposed site have already suffered damage to parked vehicles on this stretch of road, two cars have been written off and it is a miracle that no one has been seriously injured or killed and this is without the added hazard of more traffic exiting the alleyway,” the letter states.

The village’s district councillor Bryan Hall and county councillor Michael Bond also expressed concerns about access.

The agent for the applicant was unable to respond to requests for comment.

However the application’s design and access statement said the development would provide family homes which were “much-needed” in the district and would “tidy up and overgrown and neglected parcel of land”.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT