Woodbridge: Town rallies round to revive First World War memorial

The war memorial in Woodbridge is set for refurbishment and improvement ahead of the WW1 commemorations. The war memorial in Woodbridge is set for refurbishment and improvement ahead of the WW1 commemorations.

Tom Potter tom.potter@archant.co.uk
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
11:43 AM

A memorial garden is set for a makeover as part of a town’s First World War centenary commemorations.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Preparations are being made to restore the War Memorial Garden on Woodbridge’s Market Hill.

Town councillors and members of the Rotary Club, Royal British Legion (RBL) and Woodbridge Museum, formed a committee to raise cash for the improvements, which include disabled access via a new gate and extended paving around the memorial and Queen Victoria statue - also set to be restored.

New lighting is to be installed and a new bench commissioned, along with a memorial to honour the involvement of Suffolk horses in the war.

Cliff Baldock, deputy parade marshall for the RBL, said: “Remembrance services are always so well attended in Woodbridge. Last year we were running out of space for everyone. The memorial is right in the centre of town and we think it is the right time for renovation.”

Donations have been made from the community enabling budgets of district councillors Geoff Holdcroft, Les Binns, Josh Sayles and Diana Ball, and from the locality budget of county councillor Caroline Page.

Town councillor Kay Yule said she was delighted with the generosity so far, and praised fellow councillor Caroline Blois for helping to get the project off the ground.

According to Woodbridge Museum’s Bob Merrett, the land was bought in 1884 by US naval captain William Mann and given to Woodbridge as a token of his regard for his father’s former home town. Approval was then given to convert it into an “open space for the benefit of the town”.

Undergrowth has already been cleared from the area following generous response to a local letter drop and grant applications. The second phase begins after the RBL’s centenary event at Kingston Field on July 27.

Funds will be raised for the upkeep of the garden at a quiz night on May 23. Tickets are available from the Shire Hall for £6.

Mr Merrett will also give a talk on Woodbridge’s involvement in the war at 7pm on June 5 in the community hall. Tickets are £3 on door or from the Shire Hall.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.


We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?


Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT