Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Yoxford: Campaigners celebrate victory in long-running housing battle

PUBLISHED: 07:01 17 July 2014 | UPDATED: 07:31 17 July 2014

Mike Page Aerials

Yoxford 2012

Mike Page Aerials Yoxford 2012

© Mike Page all rights reserved. Before any use is made of this image including display, publication, broadcast, syndication or web, permission must be obtained in writing.

Campaigners are celebrating victory in a long-fought housing battle after a planning inspector dismissed developer appeals to build on historic parkland in east Suffolk.

Inspector Tim Wood, delivering his decision on Tuesday, said Hopkins Homes’ 26-dwelling development at Old High Road in Yoxford posed ‘unacceptable effects (that) were not outweighed by any benefits’.

The appellants had argued that Suffolk Coastal District Council’s (SCDC) lack of a five-year housing supply meant there should be a “presumption in favour of sustainable development”. Although Mr Wood recognised “supply of homes is a concern” in Suffolk Coastal, he also found the development was in
“significant conflict” with the local plan and “could not be considered
as a sustainable form of development”.

SCDC’s planning chairman Geoff Holdcroft said he welcomed the decision, which “vindicates our stance that, while we acknowledge we do not currently have a five-year supply of housing, this does not mean that all development is acceptable”.

Hopkins Homes said it was “sorry” the appeal had been refused as it would have secured “much-needed new homes and employment for local people while helping to alleviate the housing shortage”.

Residents who gave evidence at the inquiry in opposition to the scheme have spoken of their relief. Tim Williams, who co-ordinated the public campaign, said he was “ecstatic” at the news and thanked everyone for their support.

Yoxford Cricket Club chairman Stephen Beaumont, who claimed the dangers of stray balls flying into the proposed development could have forced the club’s closure, said it was “excellent news”. “It may not be the end of things but for the time being we can breathe in peace and carry on playing the game we love on the ground that we love,” he added.

Yoxford Parish Council, which recommended the application’s refusal, also welcomed the dismissal.

Parish chairman Nigel Kerridge conceded that new houses were needed but said there were “more suitable places to build them”.

Councillor Pat Wallace added: “It’s good for the village, good for the cricket club, good for the bowls club – I’m over the moon.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Four men from Essex are among the sick or injured armed service personnel and veterans who will represent the UK in this year’s Invictus Games.

An Essex Police inspector’ job could be in jeopardy after he was found guilty of assaulting his neighbour in a row over hardcore spilling on to his driveway.

A keeper killed by a tiger at a zoo in East Anglia has been described as an animal lover who was passionate about her job.

A father-of-two who was knocked off his bike in Ipswich has thanked the kind-hearted strangers who rushed to his aid.

Candidates for the 2017 General Election in Suffolk and Essex have now been confirmed. They are:

As the anticipated event approaches, police are urging drivers to expect delays and to allow extra time for journeys.

Vehicles from a wholesaler’s west Suffolk depot are carrying images of Luke Durbin in an effort to find out what happened to the 19-year-old after he went missing in Ipswich 11 years ago.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24