Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert admits he is still interested in Aaron Cresswell
PUBLISHED: 09:24 25 August 2012
PAUL Jewell is bracing himself for fresh interest in Aaron Cresswell as the transfer market enters its final week after Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert admitted the left-back remained on his radar.
Just 24 hours after the Town boss revealed there had been no new interest from the Premier League side, Lambert said Cresswell remained on his list of potential new signings.
Lambert told the Birmingham Mail: ““There’s a few (left-backs) out there, I’d be interested in. I can’t talk about anybody else’s players, but there’s a few. Cresswell? He’s one of many I’m looking at.”
A new left-back is a key priority for the Villa manager with Stephen Warnock close to a move away after the 30-year-old was excluded from first-team training.
That leaves Town fans fearing Cresswell will be targeted in the next week with the transfer window closing on Friday.
But it would take a massive offer for the club to even consider accepting a bid.
We understand Town still owe Cresswell’s former club Tranmere Rovers money from the initial sale.
A tribunal set the initial fee at £240,000 but the League One side have also netted an extra £135,000 after the left-back made 15, 30 and then 45 appearances for Town.
Rovers would also be entitled to 20% of any sell-on as a result of the tribunal ruling.
This will all weigh heavy on Town’s mind, in addition to the need to signing a replacement for someone who has quickly become one of the best full-backs outside the Premier League.
Speaking about the rumours for the first time last week, Cresswell said: ““It is nice to hear stuff like that but I love it down in Ipswich.
“I have three years left on my contract and I want to stay here for the remainder of my contract. Stuff does happen behind closed doors, but I am happy here at Ipswich and that is all there is to it.”