Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 15°C

Search

Bury St Edmunds: Suffolk FA withdraw £250k funding from Bury Town FC move to Moreton Hall

PUBLISHED: 14:12 23 October 2014 | UPDATED: 14:12 23 October 2014

Plans for a £2.5 million football facility in Moreton Hall

Plans for a £2.5 million football facility in Moreton Hall

Archant

Suffolk FA have dealt a “blow” to plans to move the home of Bury Town FC to a state-of-the-art facility in Moreton Hall, after withdrawing £250,000 of funding.

Laura Smith Suffolk FA CEO Laura Smith Suffolk FA CEO

However, the club are positive that this will not derail the move, which is also supported by St Edmundsbury Borough Council who yesterday described the news as “disappointing”.

Suffolk FA had originally committed, in June 2012, to paying for and operating an artificial 3G pitch at the site along with coaching and player development facilities, as part of the Bury St Edmunds Community Football Project.

Concerns following the intention to build a new secondary school on the same site prompted the FA to rethink, believing that football was not being prioritised.

The project is funded by Football Foundation, Football Stadia Improvement Fund and St Edmundsbury Borough Council.

Russell Ward, BTFC Chairman Russell Ward, BTFC Chairman

Suffolk FA chief executive Laura Smith said: “The board of directors, following much deliberation, has decided against investing in the project.

“Following the tender process last year it became obvious that the cost of the project had increased significantly.

“Earlier this month the board of directors decided that the new project was not the best use of our members’ money for a number of reasons and will therefore not be investing. This decision was not reached lightly.

“I personally feel that money generated through football, should be invested back into football, and that football must be the priority.

“I was concerned that through working with a brand new school who may or may not value sport, in particular football, our project may not have the profile and recognition it should have within the town.”

Ms Smith did not rule out any future project in the borough, saying a stand alone site would be better suited.

Russell Ward, chairman of Bury Town FC, who are currently sited at Ram Meadow, admitted that the decision was a “blow” to the project.

“Our current building, built 36, 38 years ago, was always meant to be a temporary building, so we do need a new site,” he said.

“It is a blow, a set back, but I am sure that the council and the club can work together to still make it happen.”

“We were concerned that we might end up becoming just tenants of the Suffolk FA. Without their involvement we will be able to have much more control over the project and the site once we are there.

“It is not news to us, we have been discussing with the council for some weeks on how to go forward. This decision essentially may end up giving us more control.”

Cllr Sarah Stamp, St Edmundsbury Borough Council Cabinet member for Leisure, Culture and Heritage said: “While we are disappointed in the decision reached by the Suffolk FA, we will work with our partners to deliver excellent community sports facilities for the people of Moreton Hall.”

2 comments

  • No surprise as the FA have placed zero value on kids education since the academy system allowed football clubs to take ALL youngsters out of their schools for 20% plus of their school life. Never mind, so long as 1 in 20 make it to pro level it's worth destroying the education prospects of the rest...would love to see OFSTED walk into an academy on one of their so called "study" times. Rant over...

    Report this comment

    Zico Rice

    Sunday, October 26, 2014

  • Well done Suffolk FA with the wealth of excellent footballing facilities that they've invested in over the years in Bury who needs more? Oops no sorry, got that wrong, still, lots of money spent in Ipswich. Really short sighted decision, and lame excuse as to why they pulled their funding.

    Report this comment

    BuryBoy

    Thursday, October 23, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A young Ipswich Town goalkeeper has apologised after posting “insensitive” messages on social media following the Manchester terror attack last night.

Ipswich Town will travel to League One Giliingham to play a pre-season friendly on Saturday, July 22.

Christophe Berra has re-joined his hometown club of Hearts following his recent release from Ipswich Town.

Winger Michael Kightly could be in line for a reunion with Mick McCarthy, at Ipswich Town, following confirmation of his release by Burnley this afternoon.

Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy has largely been restricted to signing free agents during his four-and-a-half years at the club. Here are a few released players he might look at this summer.

Striker Daryl Murphy has revealed that Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy was upset over the timing of his switch to Newcastle United last summer.

Ipswich Town legend Russell Osman believes Mick McCarthy’s style of football is harming the club’s chances of making a Premier League return.

Safety measures will be reviewed ahead of the Elton John concert at Portman Road football stadium in Ipswich next month.

Departing Ipswich Town defender Christophe Berra has been named in the Scotland squad for their World Cup qualifier against England at Hampden Park on Saturday, June 10.

TOM MORTLOCK reflects on the season at Ipswich Town Ladies, which saw them retain the Suffolk Cup and thump rivals Norwich, but struggle in the league at times.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24