Will it be a hectic transfer deadline day for Ipswich Town?
PUBLISHED: 06:00 31 January 2013 | UPDATED: 00:09 03 February 2013
IT could be a hectic transfer deadline day at Portman Road.
Midfield playmaker Anthony Wordsworth yesterday became Mick McCarthy’s sixth signing of the January transfer window when completing a move from Essex neighbours Colchester United – and the Ipswich Town boss may not be finished there.
– The return of goalkeeper Stephen Henderson on loan from West Ham seems dependent on whether the Irishman is offered to Blackburn Rovers as part of a swap deal for Paul Robinson.
– The EADT understands that Town yesterday had a bid for left-back Stephen Ward turned down by Wolves, while McCarthy is also weighing up whether to go back to his former club for wingers Stephen Hunt and striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.
– Keen to add some direct-running wingers to his squad, McCarthy is known to be an admirer of Brentford’s Harry Forrester and West Brom’s Jerome Thomas.
– Arsenal’s young German central midfielder, Thomas Eisfeld, is high on a lists of targets.
– And the saga surrounding QPR striker DJ Campbell has still not been resolved. With a move to Hull City having stalled, the 31-year-old – who scored 10 goals in 17 games on loan for the Blues recently – could yet still return to Suffolk.
The deadline for permanent additions is 11pm tonight, with the window not opening again until the season finishes. Football League clubs will still be able to sign players on ‘emergency’ 93-day loans as of next Thursday.
Ipswich’s 2-1 defeat at Bristol City last weekend, coupled with victories for Barnsley and Bristol City on Tuesday night, has seen McCarthy’s side slip to within four points of the relegation zone.
Having claimed just two points from their opening four matches of 2013, the Blues now face a tricky run of matches against Middlesbrough (h), Blackburn (a), Blackpool (h) and Watford (h).
– Join Ipswich Town writers Stuart Watson and Chris Brammer on throughout live transfer deadline day webchat from 9am to 11am. Click the link on the homepage.