Benitez sacked by Inter
RAFAEL Benitez has been sacked by Champions League holders Inter Milan just six months after taking charge.
The writing was on the wall for the former Liverpool boss after he issued a thinly-veiled ultimatum at Inter president Massimo Moratti to back him in the transfer market in the wake of Inter’s World Club Cup success last weekend.
As had been expected, Inter confirmed they had parted company with Benitez this morning.
The five-time reigning Serie A champions sit seventh in the 2010-11 table while they only qualified second in their Champions League group behind competition debutants Tottenham.
Inter’s season has been undermined by injury, but with a 13-point gap to make up to leaders and city rivals AC Milan, Benitez has come under intense fire.
You may also want to watch:
Ironically, former AC Milan boss Leonardo has been heavily linked with the post.
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery