Braintree: Iron shoot down the Darts
- Credit: Archant
Dartford 0 Braintree Town 2
Second-half goals by Alan Massey and Liam Enver-Marum ensured an impressive away win for Braintree Town at Dartford this afternoon.
Giant defender Massey headed home Kenny Davis’ 68th minute free kick to break the deadlock, and substitute Enver-Marum wrapped up the points with a fine solo goal in the 90th minute.
It was rich reward for an excellent second-half display feom Alan Devonshire’s men, who have now taken seven points from their first four games in the Skrill Conference.
The Darts shaded the first half, although it was Braintree who squandered the best chance when Luke Daley, put clean through by Kenny Davis’ slick pass on 37 minutes, screwed his shot wide with just keeper Alan Julian to beat.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier, Sean Marks had got on the end of Ryan Peters’ dangerous low cross, although his snap shot was deflected wide off Mat Mitchel-King.
Otherwise, the home side had the better opportunities, and Massey completed a last gasp goal-line clearance to prevent skipper Elliot Bradbrook’s close-range header from dropping into the net on 12 minutes.
- 1 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 5 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 6 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 7 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 8 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
Midway through the first half and Nathan McDonald made a couple of good saves. He smothered striker Jason Prior’s shot down at his near post, and then did well to beat away Lee Noble’s fierce 20-yarder.
The Iron stepped up a gear in the second period, and were unlucky not to be in front on 49 minutes. Daley exchanged a one-two with Sean Marks before clubbing in a shot that cannoned back off the bar.
Winger Daley rifled another shot wide just before the hour mark, but Braintree’s pressure finally paid off with Massey’s headed goal, which proved to be the winner with 22 minutes remaining.
There were very few late scares for the visitors, although substitute Danny Harris did balloon a free header wide from close in on 82 minutes.
Marks should have doubled the lead when failing to squeeze his shot beyond keeper Julian in the 88th minute, but Enver-Marum wrapped up the points with a clinical finish in the last minute of normal time.
DARTFORD: Julian, Burns, Clark, Mitchel-King, Sterling, Hayes (sub Collier, 86), Cornhill, Bradbrook, Noble (sub Woodyard, 86), Prior (sub Harris, 71), Birchall. Unused subs: Rogers, Wellham.
BRAINTREE: McDonald, Peters, Wells, Massey, Habergham, Isaac (sub Carney, 90+4) Paine, Davis, Daley (sub Sparkes, 66), Holman (sub Marum, 75), Marks. Unused subs: Symons, Hamann.
Referee: Dean Treleaven