Braintree Town lose at home as Newport continue perfect start

BRAINTREE Town conceded two goals in the last 20 minutes as league leaders Newport County continued their fine start to the season.

Iron looked like they were about to send the Welsh side crashing to their first defeat of the season after Bradley Quinton glanced a 53rd minute corner past the visiting defence.

But Max Porter’s long-range shot, that flew into the top corner of the net, got Newport back on terms in the 70th minute. And as the pressure mounted on the home goal, poor marking allowed Ismail Yakubu to sneak home a winner six minutes from time, after a free-kick was flicked on by Danny Crow.

It was a disappointing result for Iron.

They had battled hard in the first half against a strong Newport team and when Quinton gave them the lead, the Cressing Road fans were hopeful of victory.

You may also want to watch:

But County – roared on by more than 200 of their fans – showed why they are currently top of the table.

Indeed Quinton’s goal seemed to galvanise the Welshmen, rather than deflate them and the pressure mounted on Danny Naisbitt in the home goal, with inevitable results for the home team.

Most Read

Braintree’s start to this season hasn’t been as whirlwind as last year, but they are still a tidy enough side, comfortably going toe-to-toe with the league leaders on Saturday.

Defensively they looked sound, until Yakubu’s goal at the death which won Newport all the points.

Maybe they needed a bit more going forward, but with a new signing available for tomorrow night’s trip to Woking – former Histon striker Dan Holman who signed for the club over the weekend – that could be the boost the Iron require in attack.

With the Amlin Stadium up to Grade A standard now and all the improvements in place, Braintree can start to build on the pitch.

On Saturday, the game was nip and tuck and the first half contained few chances.

On-loan Iron striker Michael Gash had a header cleared for Braintree, while the impressive Dean Wells cut out a through-ball that would have seen Louis Jefferson home in on the home goal.

Louis shot from the edge of the area moments later and Crow crossed dangerously, but Wells headed clear.

It was goalless at the break, but the second half started brighter, with Quinton’s glancing header sending the home fans into raptures.

However, instead of pushing on, it was County who regrouped and came charging at Iron.

Porter’s shot was a bit of a slice, from 25 yards out, the slice taking it into the very top corner of Naisbitt’s net, giving him no chance.

It was all Newport now and when the winner came it was cruel on Iron, but in truth there only looked like being one team who were going to grab all three points after Porter’s equaliser.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter