Braintree Town lose in FA Cup to Tranmere Rovers
BRAINTREE TOWN’S FA Cup dreams are over for another year following a 3-0 home defeat to Tranmere Rovers in the first round, at Cressing Road.
A first half strike from Joe Thompson and second half goals from Cole Stocker and substitute Max Power saw Rovers book a home tie with Chesterfield in the next round.
Iron put up a spirited fight and Luke Daley spurned two good first-half opportunities to cancel out Thompson’s close-range opener, before Stockton shrugged off Adam Bailey-Dennis to fire home a spectacular second, early in the second period.
Town were mainly restricted to half chances in the second half though Bailey-Dennis had a header that was cleared off the six-yard line.
Power wrapped up the game in injury-time as the side from the Wirral hit Braintree on the break.
You may also want to watch:
After the game, Alan Devonshire said: “We needed 11 players on form tonight and we probably had six or seven,
“The others did not let us down but they were below standard.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“Luke had a good chance to equalise and I thought he should have scored. We needed to take our chances, especially at 0-0 so we would have had something to hold on to.”
See Wednesday’s East Anglian Daily Times for a full match report.