Winners of Suffolk Business Awards 2018 are revealed
PUBLISHED: 23:37 05 July 2018 | UPDATED: 09:44 06 July 2018
The best in the regional business world were celebrated as the winners of the Suffolk Business Awards were revealed.
Twelve awards were handed out during a glittering awards ceremony held at Milsoms, Kesgrave Hall and attended by more than 320 guests.
The black-tie event was hosted by comedian Miles Jupp, presenter of BBC Radio 4’s The News Quiz, and culminated in the naming of the Business of the Year – which this year was won by Breheny Civil Engineering.
The family-owned firm from Needham Market, which was founded in 1963 and has gone on to expand across the country, took the top honour, sponsored by EDF Energy and Suffolk Chamber of Commerce.
Breheny was shortlisted for the winner-of-winners award with Omega Ingredients, a flavours and fragrances creator based in Great Blakenham, and Spider Fixed Fee Web Recruitment, an online jobs advertiser in Ipswich.
The winner of the Outstanding Achievement award was Amy Starkey, who took the reins at Newmarket Racecourses as managing director in 2012.
Presenting the award, Suffolk County Council leader Matthew Hicks said: “Amy is responsible for a huge draw for Suffolk, attracting over 350,000 visitors a year as well as many specialist and unique businesses. Since she came on board, income and profitability has been driven up across all the company’s activities and there are plans for future multi- million pound investments too.”
Steve Anglesey, Archant’s group content director for East Anglia, urged the finalists to take pride in their success.
“Our judges have told us what a difficult job they have had this year in whittling down the entries to the finalists here this evening,” he said. “So everyone here tonight – regardless of their company’s size or sector – can consider themselves a key part of making Suffolk and north Essex such a successful place to do business.”
The awards, now in
their 21st year, are recognised as the biggest night of the year in the Suffolk business calendar.
The gala dinner and awards ceremony reflect months of planning, and judges were charged with identifying the brightest and best in business out of the hundreds of entries received from across Suffolk and North Essex.
• For full coverage of the Suffolk Business Awards 2018, see our 16-page pull-out supplement in next Wednesday’s EADT Business section.
Suffolk Business Awards 2018: The winners
• Business of the Year, sponsored by EDF Energy & Suffolk Chamber of Commerce
Breheny Civil Engineering
• Outstanding Achievement, sponsored by Suffolk County Council
Amy Starkey, Jockey Club Racecourses, Newmarket
• Environment and Sustainability, sponsored by Adnams
• Customer Care, sponsored by Greater Anglia
Home Instead Senior Care
• Family Business, sponsored by Scrutton Bland
• Innovation Award, sponsored by University of Suffolk
• Best Employer, sponsored by Pure & Birketts
• Young Business Person, sponsored by Suffolk West College & Suffolk New College
Millie Rose Homewood - Millie Rose Hair & Beauty and Industry Hair & Beauty Academy
• Showcasing Excellence, sponsored by Norse
Breheny Civil Engineering
• Small Business, sponsored by EADT Suffolk magazine
Spider Fixed Fee Web Recruitment
• Medium Business, sponsored by Ashtons Legal
• Large Business, sponsored by the EADT
One Group Construction
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.