EDF confident over Sizewell C project future
PUBLISHED: 06:05 04 February 2016 | UPDATED: 09:50 04 February 2016
Officials at EDF Energy say they fully expect the Sizewell C nuclear power station to go ahead and expect the trigger for the next stage of its development to take place soon.
There was considerable national press speculation last week over the future of the £18billion Hinkley Point C scheme in Somerset after EDF failed to announce the final investment decision (FID) for the project.
Unless Hinkley Point C proceeds, Sizewell C will not be built.
The investment decision will also spark the eagerly-awaited next phase of the public consultation for the Suffolk complex when more details of transport links, the workers’ accommodation campus, and park and ride sites will be announced.
Tom McGarry, head of communications for Sizewell C, said “good progress” was being made on the Hinkley project and the company was confident it would be built. It was “absolutely confident” of reaching the FID soon.
He said: “Following the announcement of the partnership between EDF and China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN), we said the FID would be reached ‘in the coming months’ – EDF never said the decision would be taken on January 27.”
Permission had only just been granted for Hinkley’s national grid connection and last week a lease had been taken on an office block in Bristol to act as the company’s command centre for the project.
Mr McGarry said: “Reaching the FID will be good news for Sizewell C and we can move into the next stage of consultation.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.