Capello: Terry made a ‘very big mistake’
FABIO Capello has accused John Terry of making “a very big mistake” with his staggering attack on the England World Cup set-up.
Terry went public with his grievances on Sunday and indicated he was willing to raise them at a pre-planned team meeting, even if they upset the Italian.
But in the end, having found he had no support amongst his team-mates and having been politely informed challenging Capello was not a great idea, the 29-year-old backed down.
And Capello told ITV1: “This is the big mistake, this is the very big mistake.” He added: “When you speak you have to speak privately, not with the media.”
But midfielder Frank Lampard insisted his England and Chelsea team-mate spoke out because he wants to “hit things head-on”.
Opinion has been mixed about Terry’s motives, but Lampard said: “I don’t think anyone wants to give too much away about what was said.
“I think it’s been particularly overdone in terms of a ‘crisis meeting’...but I understand what John Terry was saying because he’s passionate like that, as a player as a person.”
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75