Capello: Terry made a ‘very big mistake’
FABIO Capello has accused John Terry of making “a very big mistake” with his staggering attack on the England World Cup set-up.
Terry went public with his grievances on Sunday and indicated he was willing to raise them at a pre-planned team meeting, even if they upset the Italian.
But in the end, having found he had no support amongst his team-mates and having been politely informed challenging Capello was not a great idea, the 29-year-old backed down.
And Capello told ITV1: “This is the big mistake, this is the very big mistake.” He added: “When you speak you have to speak privately, not with the media.”
But midfielder Frank Lampard insisted his England and Chelsea team-mate spoke out because he wants to “hit things head-on”.
You may also want to watch:
Opinion has been mixed about Terry’s motives, but Lampard said: “I don’t think anyone wants to give too much away about what was said.
“I think it’s been particularly overdone in terms of a ‘crisis meeting’...but I understand what John Terry was saying because he’s passionate like that, as a player as a person.”
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 5 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch