Chelsea reject Manchester City bid for Luiz while Liverpool end Carroll loan exit talks
The Sun report that the 25-year-old was wanted by the Premier League champions as cover for Micah Richards, who is expected to miss the next 10 weeks through injury.
Meanwhile, Andy Carroll’s proposed loan move to Newcastle appears to have been quashed, after Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers was quoted in saying that he would have to be ‘a nutcase’ to let the striker leave (Daily Telegraph).
Liverpool’s pursuit of American international Clint Dempsey continues, as the owner John Henry has said that Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing may leave Anfield to fund the 29-year-old (Daily Mirror). Spearing is wanted on loan by Championship side Bolton Wanderers, while Everton-target Adam could be offered in a part-exchange deal with Fulham for Dempsey (Daily Mail).
Arsenal are keen to spend their money from the Robin Van Persie and Alex Song sales by splashing out on Spanish star Jesus Navas. The 26-year-old winger from Seville would be available for around �27million (Daily Star), although the Daily Express report that the Gunners will only offer �12million.
Michael Dawson’s move to QPR has stalled after the centre-back failed to agree personal terms at Loftus Road (Daily Mail). Another Tottenham player linked with a move out of White Hart Lane is Tom Huddlestone, with Stoke City expected to sign the 25-year-old on a season long loan later today (Daily Mirror).
Spurs are closing in on another striker following the arrival of Emmanuel Adebayor yesterday, with Andre Villas Boas set to make a �20million bid for Brazilian striker Leandro Dami�o (Daily Mail).
West Brom’s Peter Odemwingie is the latest name to be linked with a move to Sunderland, with West Ham also interested in the striker (Daily Mirror). The same two clubs are battling to sign Wolves winger Matt Jarvis, with the �10million rated player believed to prefer a move to the North-east (The Times).
- 1 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 2 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Sunday sermon required at Portman Road... why Crewe game is 'must win' for Town
In the Championship, Watford are looking to sign veteran right-back Marco Cassetti on a free transfer, which would be Zola’s ninth summer signing (The Sun), while Nottingham Forest are set to complete the signing of Kuwait striker Bader Al-Mutawa in a �800,000 deal (Daily Mirror).