Compassionate Andrew named “porter of the year”
A PORTER has been praised for his contribution to the smooth running of a hospital.
Andrew Harrington, of Bury St Edmunds, was presented with the Michael Williams’ Porter of the Year shield during a ceremony in at West Suffolk Hospital.
The 44-year-old, who is the porter for the physiotherapy department, was given the award in recognition of his dedication to his role and the outstanding contribution he has made to the smooth running of the hospital during his five years in post.
Runners up were Michael McLean, from Bury, who has served as a porter for 25 years, and 51-year-old Tony Walker, who lives in Rougham near Bury, and has been a porter for nine years.
Now in its sixth year, the prize is awarded annually in memory of Michael Williams, who spent a decade working as a porter at West Suffolk. Every member of staff at the hospital is invited to vote for the porter they feel has made the most difference to patient care. The winner receives the shield and �125.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Pretty, portering manager, said: “Our porters make a tremendous contribution to the smooth running of the hospital each and every day.
Mr Williams’ widow Lesley, a nurse and former director of nurse education at the hospital, and the couple’s two daughters, Sam and Adrienne, all attended the ceremony this afternoon.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
- 10 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans